Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Richard Nikoley's (from Free The Animal) 'Fat Bread' - Anyone Tried It? page 6

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I want to try this bread... sounds like a sure-fire way to ruin myself though!
    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
    Pre-preg weight: 130
    Current: 145 (eek!)
    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
    Started Primal in May '12.
    My Blog
    Join the Revolution!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cavebabymama View Post
    I want to try this bread... sounds like a sure-fire way to ruin myself though!
    It's really not that dangerous. It's kind of self limiting. You feel so stuffed you really can't eat that much of it.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I made this yesterday, and added about half a teaspoon extra baking soda. Because I live at 5,000 ft., recipes with baking soda usually need a little more. Even with the extra, my loaf didn't rise much. It came out rectangular, but aside from the shape, looks just like Richard Nikoley's. It's very tasty!

Next time I'll use two heaping teaspoons of baking soda and see how that works.

*Edited to add: I did not use any coconut oil when I butter-ized my shredded coconut. It came out a very nice consistency, just like peanut butter.
    Last edited by Goldie; 08-27-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Shawn the Meat Man is offline Junior Member
    I also didn't need coconut oil for my coconut butter making. I still need a use, though, for the leftover couple of ounces of it!

In related news, I sent an email to Mark Sisson about this thread, and especially the post about the super fermented bread, hoping he'd chime in either here or on the blog:

I'll see about covering this in an upcoming blog post. I literally get hundreds of questions every day so I can't promise my answers on this will be published soon, but stay tuned! Thanks.

Best,

--
    Mark Sisson
    My Blog: Mark&#039;s Daily Apple
    My Store: Primal Blueprint

Connect with me on:
    Twitter: Mark_Sisson (Mark_Sisson) on Twitter
    Facebook:*Mark&#039;s Daily Apple | Facebook

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 5:02 AM, Shawn banks <Shawnbankschef@hotmail.com> wrote:
    Name: Shawn banks
    E-mail: Shawnbankschef@hotmail.com
    Subject: Super sourdoughs are gluten free?!

In an MDA discussion thread ispired by Nickoley's fat bread, one poster mentioned a story on The Whole Living *site:
    Our Daily Bread - Whole Living Power Foods + Nutrition
    Supposedly, one can ferment sourdough bread long enough that the microbes can eat away all the gluten?!
    Have you heatd anything about this and, if so, can you find us some links to try it for ourselves?!
    It sounds awesome!

--from Mark's Daily Apple contact form--

By the way, I'm down to my last little bit of this in the fridge, and I don't see any hint of age on it. It lasts at least a couple of weeks!

As far as sandwich bread goes, I don't like this for such. It makes very awesome small pizzas on my griddle, though. turn the heat to medium, butter the griddle and lay them on it cold, and build the little pizzas right there on the griddle. the "bread" has a nice brown crust just in time for the cheese to melt, and the ingredients to warm up a bit!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn the Meat Man View Post
    By the way, I'm down to my last little bit of this in the fridge, and I don't see any hint of age on it. It lasts at least a couple of weeks!

As far as sandwich bread goes, I don't like this for such. It makes very awesome small pizzas on my griddle, though. turn the heat to medium, butter the griddle and lay them on it cold, and build the little pizzas right there on the griddle. the "bread" has a nice brown crust just in time for the cheese to melt, and the ingredients to warm up a bit!
    True, it took me a couple of weeks to go through a loaf by myself and it didn't dry out at all. How could it with all that coconut and mac nut oil in it?

Fat bread pizza on slices is an awesome idea. I wonder how this dough would stand up to being baked in a pizza shape.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    When I made it, it did strike me that it is so simple, so tasty and so useful that I wonder why people go to the levels of effort that they do to make wheat flour work. I also make flatbreads from manioc flour and again, it's just so much harder to work with wheat flour. Why bother?

Penady is offline Senior Member
    I made this this evening. It turned out okay, not great. My food processer is really small, though, and I couldn't get the batter to the right texture before baking it, so it came out a little dense. The taste is good. I can pick up on the coconut taste, although my boyfriend swears that there is no coconut taste. He's not Primal in the least little bit, so I think my tastebuds might be a little more fine tuned than his. Anyway, I'll definitely be playing around with this until I get a better rise in the loaf.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    I have a loaf in the oven right now... am hoping it turns out good! My poor, downtrodden, forced-to-be-Primal husband was craving bread again today. *sad face*

I just looked at him and said "Bacon". When we were vegans, he ate all kinds of bread, but no bacon. Life is better now.

Okay,I had to make this again, partly beacause I really liked it, but primarily because I wanted to get the math right.

Anyway, I doubled the recipe, and wore out my processor in the, well, process, of preparation.

10 large eggs, 11oz Publix mac's, 1# org. Shredded coconut, 2 lemons, yadayada...just under $20 for the super loaf.
    Also, to bake it all at once, it wouldn't fit in any of my loaf pans, so I baked it in a large oval Le Crueset pan, whichever ine has the 23 onthe bottom. It...came out...beautiful.

Anyway, i used no coconut oil to make mt "butter," just lots of time and bowl scraping. By the time I took it out, smoothed out the nuts, and spun in the eggs one at a time, that was too much. I had to pull off the bowl, and do the rest by whisk. Honestly, I don't think it would have all fit, anyway.

So, the calorie math. All of this yielded a 45oz loaf, with 6233 calories, 587.6g fat (322.4g satfat), 159.6g carbs, and 114.2g protein. Now, per 1oz slice, that's 138.5 cals, 13.1g fat (7.16satfat), 3.54g carbs, and 2.54g protein.

Hehehe....now that I've done all that, it seems a waste, as I just now decided to STOP counting all my calories. I've been updating Sparkpeople after nearly every bite, and haven't improved in over a month. I think the obsession might be hurting me more than helping, so I'm gonna try to just "be good" and see how it works.

I'm hoping this loaf doesn't come out 'gritty', and my coconut "butter" puree wasn't as smooth as the first batch. We'll see.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast