Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Nikoley's (from Free The Animal) 'Fat Bread' - Anyone Tried It? page 5

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Real talk, for the trouble of making this you might as well eat some "real" bread and tell yourself it'll be okay. Idk, that's probably just me.
    Some of us actually enjoy cooking so it is not any "trouble", it's fun. Also if your Dad is diabetic but would like some bread, "real" bread is not a good option.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I will be more careful to add any and all obvious disclaimers in the future. You guys, seriously.

Shawn the Meat Man is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Don't know if anyone would be interested in this (and it is a long article), but this article: Our Daily Bread - Whole Living Power Foods + Nutrition talks about sourdough bread/fermenting/etc.
    Great though that article was, I was really hoping for a recipe or formula at the end! All that buildup, and no tips on making one's own "super" sour dough! I made an Alcoa sourdough here in my neighborhood, and the starter is almost 4 years old. It makes incredible stuff, but I'd really like to use it for such gluten-free wonder loaves!

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    I made it ... enjoyed it, just two slices with some chutney and cheese. Very nice indeed!

But, it ruined our dinner for which I had some meat, tenderstem broccoli and sweet potato sorted. We left the veggies. The bread filled us up and robbed us of good nutrition with our main meal.

It can have a place, though. I won't say I'll never make it again, but doubt I'll make it again any time soon.

Slipperly slope? Primal folks tend to be self-determined and disciplined. I don't see why you couldn't do this every so often.

Paleobird Guest
    I can see the Fat Bread being an awesome backpacking food. It would be like eating Hobbit Cakes, just a little bit fills you up for ages. I agree with pjgh above that it is an appetite spoiler. But on the trail, that could be a good thing.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I can see the Fat Bread being an awesome backpacking food. It would be like eating Hobbit Cakes, just a little bit fills you up for ages. I agree with pjgh above that it is an appetite spoiler. But on the trail, that could be a good thing.
    Lembas bread! Hahaha. Good point though. I often dream of thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail, and would like to have plenty of protein and fat to fuel the adventure. Pemmican and this bread would could probably work very well. Although with the price of mac nuts, I don't think it would be very cheap.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Very interesting. Perhaps I will try it someday.

I've been thinking about this fat bread and it sort of doesn't appeal to me that much. However the other day I made the chocolate mug cakes described in a different thread. Just mashed banana, almond butter, egg and cocoa. It came out very much like cake, probably fairly similar to this bread. So it got me wondering if there's a way to make this bread but lighter, less full of dense macadamias and coconut. Perhaps using the mug cake recipe but use pureed zucchini instead of banana and leave out the cocoa. Instead of loaves of bread, make individual drop biscuits so you can have fresh bread one sandwich at a time. I guess maybe I'm just trending over to the oopsie roll side of this with these thoughts.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Lembas bread! Hahaha. Good point though. I often dream of thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail, and would like to have plenty of protein and fat to fuel the adventure. Pemmican and this bread would could probably work very well. Although with the price of mac nuts, I don't think it would be very cheap.
    I'm thinking of someday hiking the Pacific Crest Trail from the Canada to Mexico borders. I think you could do it pretty well on just Fat Bread, cheese, pemmican, and Larabars.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    I'm thinking of someday hiking the Pacific Crest Trail from the Canada to Mexico borders. I think you could do it pretty well on just Fat Bread, cheese, pemmican, and Larabars.
    You gonna hike naked? Because your backpack's going to be weighted down w/ those bricks of Fat Bread, cheese, pemmican, and Larabars... No room for a spare pair of shorts nor shirts! Just get a good hat, a few neck scarves & some socks & good boots. Can be au naturel from between your hat/scarf & socks/boots. You can buy some clothes before you cross into the Mexican border.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Segments in So Cal are about 3-4 days long. Central Cal from 4 days to about a week with some sections where you can supplement with restaurant or home cooked meals, Oregon and Washington sections are about 4 days with a few restaurants here and there.

I think you could send yourself one loaf of fat bread per resupply. In addition to pemmican and the other things on your list, I'd suggest tuna and salmon in foil pouches, condiments, dehydrated sweet potatoes and yams (hot sweet potatoes with melted pemmican is amazing!). Instead of lara bars, bring medjool dates. Really good with cheese and nuts.

Don't need any shirts, pants or underwear. You'll be wearing all that. Easy peasy. Light pack. No problemo.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast