Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Nikoley's (from Free The Animal) 'Fat Bread' - Anyone Tried It? page 4

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Just tried mine! It puffed up very nicely, just like the original. I definitely used a VERY heaping teaspoon of baking soda and took care not to overmix the dough after adding the baking soda and lemon juice, so it was quite light and bubbly when I put it in the oven - might be the reason why it rose so well. That said, it did settle a bit over the course of the afternoon as it sat out on the table.

Taste-wise, I managed to oversalt it....ugh. I don't like salty foods, so it's an annoyance. I tried it on its own and while you know right away it's not normal bread, it's pretty decent. It is, however, very eggy - and smells that way. TBH, the idea of dipping it into MORE egg for making French toast is actually making me slightly nauseated.

I just made a grilled cheese - same as I would with regular bread, i.e. buttering up both slices. It browned quite nicely, but the crust, of course, is not as crunchy as real bread would be. It was dripping a fair amount of grease, so I let the sandwich sit on a paper towel to drain for a bit. It is still quite greasy. I'm going to try this again on the weekend using my boyfriend's toaster oven - I feel like it'd allow more extra grease to drip away and allow for a drier "toast."

All in all, not bad except for messing up the salt content...ugh.

AuroraB is online now Senior Member
    Make sure you have a strong blender if you're making coconut butter. 3 cups of shredded makes about 1 pint of butter. Mmmmmm.......

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    Make sure you have a strong blender if you're making coconut butter. 3 cups of shredded makes about 1 pint of butter. Mmmmmm.......
    I continue to fail at making coconut butter; it's immensely frustrating.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    Just tried mine! It puffed up very nicely, just like the original. I definitely used a VERY heaping teaspoon of baking soda and took care not to overmix the dough after adding the baking soda and lemon juice, so it was quite light and bubbly when I put it in the oven - might be the reason why it rose so well. That said, it did settle a bit over the course of the afternoon as it sat out on the table.

Taste-wise, I managed to oversalt it....ugh. I don't like salty foods, so it's an annoyance. I tried it on its own and while you know right away it's not normal bread, it's pretty decent. It is, however, very eggy - and smells that way. TBH, the idea of dipping it into MORE egg for making French toast is actually making me slightly nauseated.

I just made a grilled cheese - same as I would with regular bread, i.e. buttering up both slices. It browned quite nicely, but the crust, of course, is not as crunchy as real bread would be. It was dripping a fair amount of grease, so I let the sandwich sit on a paper towel to drain for a bit. It is still quite greasy. I'm going to try this again on the weekend using my boyfriend's toaster oven - I feel like it'd allow more extra grease to drip away and allow for a drier "toast."

All in all, not bad except for messing up the salt content...ugh.

Mine came out a bit salty too. The baking soda has a salty tasty so next time I am going to skip adding the regular salt altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    Yes. I love my Vitamix.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    I just want to share a bread recipe I recently found on a blog I just started following:

Grain-free Sandwich Bread (Paleo and SCD) Against All Grain

It's a similar recipe, but it looks like this one is less greasy/fatty and may have better results.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    I just want to share a bread recipe I recently found on a blog I just started following:

Grain-free Sandwich Bread (Paleo and SCD) Against All Grain

It's a similar recipe, but it looks like this one is less greasy/fatty and may have better results.
    Oooooh that looks good too. A little heavier on the nuts and lighter on the coconuts. Shall have to try that next.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Real talk, for the trouble of making this you might as well eat some "real" bread and tell yourself it'll be okay. Idk, that's probably just me.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Real talk, for the trouble of making this you might as well eat some "real" bread and tell yourself it'll be okay. Idk, that's probably just me.
    If you can't handle gluten, "real" bread isn't an option.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    If you can't handle gluten, "real" bread isn't an option.
    Should I always state the obvious? I assumed that would be understood around here.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Don't know if anyone would be interested in this (and it is a long article), but this article: Our Daily Bread - Whole Living Power Foods + Nutrition talks about sourdough bread/fermenting/etc.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast