Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Nikoley's (from Free The Animal) 'Fat Bread' - Anyone Tried It? page 2

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks for the tip! Now to find some unsweetened coconut.
    -Chuck

TNFrogDogMom is offline Junior Member
    I have made this. It is very good and very satisfying. Because I do eat very low sugar, the coconut and macadamia nuts make it taste sweet to me. I enjoy it toasted. I think it would make decent French toast but have not tried it. Considering the few and healthy ingredients, I don't consider it a faux food but a nice primal treat.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Coconut butter is the whole coconut ground up. This is the brand I use:

Artisana Organic Foods Coconut Butter

It's about $12 for a 1lb. jar. Looks like that would be some expensive bread. I do think it would be good for French Toast. I don't think I will try it though as I don't really miss bread in that way.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Coconut butter has a consistency like tahini. I have found that the coconut manna has a higher fat content than the coconut butter but they both taste the same.

This bread looks interesting but very expensive. And what if you messed it up? Wow, that's a lot of money down the drain.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Coconut butter has a consistency like tahini. I have found that the coconut manna has a higher fat content than the coconut butter but they both taste the same.

This bread looks interesting but very expensive. And what if you messed it up? Wow, that's a lot of money down the drain.
    This is the ONLY reason I haven't yet tried it!! Macadamias ARE NOT cheap . Still I am looking for a paleo bread for my son who seems to find that following paleo/primal is next to impossible due to lack of bread for sandwiches. (He needs to lose weight, and I figure this is the best way for him to do it! Just need to get him off the grains/sugars completely... not an easy task).

I actually had a discussion with Richard (in the comments after the article) about the coconut butter, because I wasn't sure where to get some or what to use, and I think I'll end up making my own using desiccated coconut mixed with perhaps a little coconut oil if it's a bit dry.

Msilver is offline Member
    I gotta try this one out. I don't miss bread much, but I do like having something to sop up leftover sauce or egg yolk.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    What's the calorie count and macro breakdown of 1 slice of it?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think that may just vary by the brand. My jar of Nutiva manna here has the same fat, carbs and protein but with 7 more calories per tbsp than the one Urban Forager linked above.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    What's the calorie count and macro breakdown of 1 slice of it?
    The breakdown for the whole loaf is in the original link. How much per slice would depend on how you slice it.

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Anyone tried it with nuts other than macadamias? I happen to have a pretty big surplus of pecans and walnuts. I did try the recipe with walnuts, but could not find any unsweetened coconut so tried it using coconut oil and yeah it failed miserably. It still formed a "bread" and rose, and the crust part wasn't too terrible, but it was just way too oily. I think the walnuts might have worked if I'd had the right coconut. Any thoughts?

Also to those saying it's an "expensive" bread- is it really? I'm guessing people won't be making three loaves a week of the stuff. Besides, it's a little better put in perspective when you consider the normal cost of the primal diet (i.e. good meat isn't cheap). Sure, in comparison to regular bread, it's expensive, but as far as primal concoctions go it doesn't seem all that bad. Macadamia nuts are expensive whether you eat a handful of them now and then or dump half the jar into a loaf of bread and then gradually eat on that for a week. Just my $0.02... or maybe $2.00 rather
    Last edited by impala454; 08-08-2012 at 05:35 PM.
    -Chuck

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast