Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best tuber/root veggie for breakfast hash page

treyevans is offline Junior Member

best tuber/root veggie for breakfast hash

Primal Fuel
    Alright guys, I'm really struggling here. I'm trying to figure out the best carbohydrate to incorporate into my high intensity workout day breakfast hash (3 times a week). So far I've been experimenting with turnip and rutabaga, and am also considering just saying screw it and throw in a small amount of some variety of potato. I'm an engineer so I am going to present the problem within a scientific methodical structure

Objective: finding a carbohydrate root/tuber vegetable to cook into my breakfast hash that strikes the right balance between carb content, fiber content, and micro-nutritional value.

Application: breakfast, with egg and bacon or sausage or some sort of steak (beef shoulder, deer, etc.). When I have the time I add fresh peppers, onion, mushroom and what ever else is left over in the fridge.

Experimental Data:

Turnip: high in water content and simply doesn't cook very well in bacon fat, butter or oil. I just purchased a food dehydrator which I plan on experimenting with this weekend, but my concern is the amount of food prep time this will amount to (I'm an extremely busy working professional), and the loss of nutritional content by dehydrating, which is one of the main things I am looking for in a regular breakfast hash carb ingredient.

Rutabaga: They cook well in bacon fat, butter, and oil, but from what I've read I'm not really getting much more nutritional content, any less carbs, and no more fiber compared to potatoes.

Beets: haven't really experimented with them yet, and would like some of yall's experiences with cooking beets for breakfast hash.

There are plenty of other options and variables that I'm hoping some of yall can bring to the table and help me solve my problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Trey

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Tapioca flour pancakes with bananas and honey.

sweeeeeeeeeet potato!

one sweet potato, shredded in food processor, 1/4 tps of salt / Cayenne pepper / cinnamon. Top with eggs and sausage.

anadolis is offline Junior Member
    How about parsnips? Same carb, but more fiber than the potato, and (I'm assuming) less sugar than beets.
    Best reason: they're DELICIOUS when fried.

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatos!
    I usually cook the bacon on top of the stove (or bake in oven and save the grease), saute veggies and sweet potato in bacon grease until just starting to get tender. crack a few eggs on top and cover until eggs are the way you like them.
    Sausage works just as well!

super nom nom!

pbj
    forward
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You might consider celery root. It adds a nice flavor and is quick to cook.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    dont fear some organic potatoes either!

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Rutabaga, by weight, is definitely less carby than potatos. By about half.

I'm somewhat confused though. You say you want the carbs for your high-intensity workout, but you seem to be gravitating toward the less carby vegetables. If you just like how they taste better, that's fine, but you shouldn't be scared to use sweet potatoes (or white potatoes) because they are "too carby".

I support the others who have voted for sweet potato. Carrots are also quite good. I also like to pre-cook my root veggies in the microwave for a few minutes before I put them in the pan to make hash.

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Rutabaga.
    looooooove rutabaga!
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

treyevans is offline Junior Member
    @yodiewan

I guess I should have ranked what I'm looking for in a breakfast hash root/tuber:

1) micro-nutritional content
    2) a balance between carb and fiber content (really don't have the knowledge to quantify that)
    4) ease of preparation
    5) taste (most roots I've tasted are pretty agreeable to me)

Thanks for all the input so far!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast