Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best tuber/root veggie for breakfast hash page 2

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Have you considered winter (hard) squash? Some are drier than others, like Butternut or Buttercup.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pbj View Post
    looooooove rutabaga!
    Me too. Dear lord, do I love them. I can easily eat a whole 2 pound+ one by myself. I really like them roasted, but also pressure-cooked.

Sars is offline Junior Member
    This recipe uses potatoes and beets! Switch out the veggie oil for delicious, delicious bacon and you're golden!

Red Flannel Hash Recipe - CHOW

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    I go sweet potato, coconut oil, cilantro, red pepper, yellow onion, spicy pork sausage with poached eggs on top...
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by treyevans View Post
    @yodiewan

I guess I should have ranked what I'm looking for in a breakfast hash root/tuber:

1) micro-nutritional content
    2) a balance between carb and fiber content (really don't have the knowledge to quantify that)
    4) ease of preparation
    5) taste (most roots I've tasted are pretty agreeable to me)

Thanks for all the input so far!
    Thanks for the clarification, that makes more sense now. I guess white potatoes would be far down on the list due to really low fiber. There is fiber in the peel, but that is also where the alkaloids are. Also I can't imagine the skin tasting good in a hash.

Anyway, I guess the best thing to do is use a site like nutritiondata.com to pull up the info for all your options. There is a Compare Foods function under the Tools menu. You have to have an account, but it's free. You could also just look at them in tabs or put it into Excel or something. I think a mix of several kinds of tubers/roots would give you the best micronutrient content.

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    Jicama!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by anadolis View Post
    How about parsnips? Same carb, but more fiber than the potato, and (I'm assuming) less sugar than beets.
    Best reason: they're DELICIOUS when fried.
    Another vote for parsnips. They hold up well to frying without going mushy on you.

JudiPurple is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I will second the vote for Jicama!!! They stay quite crispy, and with aromatics added, the flavor is quite good - just squeeze out excess moisture. Don't know if the nutritional details are what you're looking for...but simple enuff to find!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12