Thread: faster, better bone broth page

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member

faster, better bone broth

Like a good Grokette should, I regularly make a bone broth with leftover chicken and pork chop bones. I pour freshly-squeezed lemon juice (am allergic to vinegar) and boiled water over the bones/skin/cartilage, in a steel pan on the hob, and let them simmer for at least 10 hours, often longer. Occasionally top up the water and skim the scum off the surface. It's hard to leave it for so long though - I know it's going to be so delicious and I get very impatient for it to be ready!

Do you have any tips to share to help me make a good bone broth in less time? Would it go significantly faster in a pressure cooker? Or can I make just as good a broth in less time with a higher heat, in a normal pan?

I know from experience that tasty broths can be made fairly quickly, however I'd like to make a really nutritious broth that has minerals like calcium and magnesium from the bones, as well as the fat soluble vitamins and gelatin that come from the soft parts. Is there an optimum temperature at which the minerals can be leached out quickly but without destroying too much of the other nutrients, or spoiling the flavour?
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I think your best method would be to start a new batch before finishing the last one. I prefer to put everything into a crockpot and let simmer for 2 days. You could dump into a separate container and consume, while you start a new batch. That way you'll won't have to wait.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    A pressure cooker can definitely help make a tastier faster stock, but it has to be the right kind (a Kuhn Rikon - or one that doesn't let steam continuously escape) for best results:
    Pressure-Cooked Stocks: We Got Schooled.

Higher temperature does not help in my experience. Once I let my stock cook at a higher temperature for a long time and it would not gel. I'm sure it was still nutritions, but it didn't have that nice body that slow-simmered stock always seems to have.

wendyland is offline Senior Member
    I have a fagor futuro pressure cooker. I will sometimes cook everything under pressure for an hour and then add more water and simmer for a few more hours. It has always gelled and tasted great. I don't notice any difference in consistency or taste whether I use the pressure cooker or just cook for a long time. I also use a lot of wings. They have produced the best results for me.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i made lots of chicken and beef bone broths in january. i eat it most days and am only now just running low, so i made a beef one last week, before i ran out. i also reduced it waaaaaaay more than i did last time, so a little will go a long way.

with chicken/pork, see if you can get some bird heads or feet, or a pork hock, to add in there. lots of goodness and makes for a super-rich stock.

i don't have a slow-cooker or pressure cooker, just do it on the stove. chicken goes 10-12 hours, beef more like 36.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway