Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making bone broth in a crock pot? page

Warmbear is offline Senior Member

making bone broth in a crock pot?

Heya, I was wondering if I can use a crock pot to make bone broth. Will a slow cooker do the trick or does it need to be on the stove?
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Razorburne is offline Junior Member
    slow cooker works just fine - if you actually just google it many a site discuss how you can do this....it's more "traditional" to use the stove but either option works. good luck!

TillyMonstar is offline Member
    I've heard bone broth in a pressure cooker is the way to go. I'll be trying this soon, once I get a carcass of chicken from a BBQ that I actually remember to save.

A good tip I learned from nomnompaleo.com is... save all ends of all veggies is a freezer ziplock bag. So you can just dump em in when you make your broth. What a great idea yes?

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    A slow cooker is the *only* way I make bone broth. Carcasses + water + salt + ACV ... turn it on, walk away for at least 24 hours and it takes care of itself.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Ad above, but I never use salt. I add that when I am making soups, sauces or whatever.

If you save bones / chicken carcasses etc in the freezer until you have enough to about half fill the crock, you'll make ace stock.

Tip - of the bones are from cooked chicken etc, just cover with water, perhaps a few bay leaves, pepper corns, and the juice of a lemon or tablespoon of cider vinegar, switch on and leave for 18 - 24 hours. If bones are raw, I find it is best to roast them on high for about 30 minutes, just until browning. The flavour of the stock seems to be more intense.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    I find the crock-pot is easier than the stove.. and usually tastes better as well.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    yes! Agree with above statements! You can leave it on low for 24 hours...just check water level before bed to make sure it isnt evaporated too low---I sometimes add extra "warmed" water at that point!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I finally made some stock/bone broth yesterday. Can't say I was fond of it, and now remember why I switched to store bought stocks, but that's just me. And it was chicken, so maybe beef/pork bones would yield something heartier and worth the effort.

I like the idea above on the ends of veggies, and often make a clear mushroom soup which is terrific and as easy as boiling water.

zilog is offline Senior Member
    A good tip I learned from nomnompaleo.com is... save all ends of all veggies is a freezer ziplock bag. So you can just dump em in when you make your broth. What a great idea yes?
    Great tip, worth repeating!

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    Heya, I was wondering if I can use a crock pot to make bone broth. Will a slow cooker do the trick or does it need to be on the stove?
    I've done it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast