Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: making bone broth in a crock pot? page 2

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I finally made some stock/bone broth yesterday. Can't say I was fond of it, and now remember why I switched to store bought stocks, but that's just me. And it was chicken, so maybe beef/pork bones would yield something heartier and worth the effort.

I like the idea above on the ends of veggies, and often make a clear mushroom soup which is terrific and as easy as boiling water.
    I made a stock with chicken feet and chicken bits and was very disappointed. It just didn't have the flavor I was expecting. I've also made a broth with pig feet and pork neckbones that that came out delicious.

camel is offline Senior Member
    If you make stock from turkey or beef bones, just keep in mind you want these to be roasted first. Like don't use raw turkey necks - roast them first in the oven. Or beef soup bones, bake them for an hour before making your stock. The taste is worlds better.
    I use my crockpot all the time to make broth. It's great!

Emseven is offline Member
    One thing you may notice when you make your stock in a Crock Pot -- it doesn't gel as nicely as stove-top broth. When this was happening to me, I was worried I wasn't getting all the goodness out of the bones, but apparently it's something about the longer cooking times that just breaks down the gelatin even more. So use your slow cooker without fear!

Pooka is offline Member
    Maybe someone can clear up some confusion for me. When making the bone broth, do you keep the water level above the bones through the whole cooking process? Or does it cook down, and if it cooks down, how far? I've only tried once, but I think I diluted it too much because I kept adding water to keep the bones covered, and it didn't turn out too well.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I did a roast bird on a bed of veggies and glug of stock (I'm paranoid about cooking in a dry crock pot), took the meat out, returned the bones and skin, added a splash of existing stock and some ACV, topped it off with water, and kept it going another 18 hrs. The bird cooked for 6-7 hrs. I got some of the best stock I've ever tasted. Yes, I did it in my crock pot. I tried doing it with just the bones one and it didn't taste that great (kinda nasty, actually.) I think the meat helped.
    Pooka- I don't add any. Just add it once and call it good.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

driver8 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooka View Post
    Maybe someone can clear up some confusion for me. When making the bone broth, do you keep the water level above the bones through the whole cooking process? Or does it cook down, and if it cooks down, how far? I've only tried once, but I think I diluted it too much because I kept adding water to keep the bones covered, and it didn't turn out too well.
    The heat shouldn't be so high that you're getting that much evaporation. Keep a lid on the pot (on the stove or crockpot) and if the temperature is right, you shouldn't need to add water even after 12 or more hours. You want barely simmering, not boiling.

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    A crock pot would be fine for small batches but you'd have to keep an eye on the liquid level. Mine cooks kind of hot, even on low.

I use my old laying hens for stock, since they aren't really edible any other way. I plop a whole bird in my giant kettle, cover with a couple gallons of cold water, add salt and the contents of the stock baggie I keep in the freezer and turn it up to a near boil. Then it gets turned to a simmer, hot enough to keep cooties at bay, but low enough I can leave it for 24 hours.

One reason people are 'trained' to avoid salt is that it can toughen meat during the simemring process. But if you're not going to use the meat for a normal meal, it actually helps extract the flavor. I think of it as making meat tea. Also, toss celery butts & tops, carrot trimmings, onion peels into your stock bag. When it's full, make stock. The onion peels add nice color, as do carrot bits.

When i make beef stock, I use some flanken-style short ribs plus beef shank that my butcher sliced about 3/4" thick. It's a fair amount of meat, plus a butt-load of marrow. I roast them all up before tossing in the kettle, then simmer the same as the chicken stock.

The two steers I raised provided so much 'soup bone' that I still have enough for a few more canner loads. I will sure miss it when it's gone.

When the stock is strained out for canning, I separate out anything the dogs can't have, and freeze what they can have in big zippies. When I have enough, plus random meat bits/offal, I can a batch of 'dog food', basically a stew to pour over their kibble. Great way to clean out the freezer and they love it.

We'll be slaughtering some old biddies this weekend, so time to make more stock. I'm going to can some up as soup too, with potatoes, carrots, soup celery & onions. Meal in a jar!
    Last edited by JBailey; 08-08-2012 at 05:55 PM.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

librariari is offline Junior Member
    You shouldn't be losing that much liquid. Keep your pot (either crock or stove) covered and lower the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooka View Post

Pooka is offline Member
    Thanks for the advice all. My crock pot may be too hot. I was simmering on low, but it still lost a lot of moisture. I'll try it on the stove in a stock pot next time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12