Thread: Fasted training sprints? page

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member

Fasted training sprints?

Primal Fuel
    I'm interested in the concept of fasted training, AKA 'train low, race high', and I've tried it out a few times.

It makes sense to me that you could improve the efficiency of your metabolism and more easily switch to fat burning during a longer race, possibly reducing the effect of the dreaded 'bonk'.

But I've recently begun to realise I enjoy speed much more than endurance. I'd like to bulk up and be able to sprint very fast. Would fasted training be any help with this?

My understanding of the first explosive burst of speed during a 100 meter sprint, is that it is anaerobic, and uses the energy stored in the muscles. Obviously you need glycogen-loaded muscles for a race, but would sprint training in a fasted state make the muscles able to store more or be more efficient somehow? Or does effective explosive training require super-fuelled muscles?
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    I am very interested in fasted training as well. I am fat adapted, have been for a while. I've trained very successfully without any food on my stomach doing some very high intensity weight training. I have also started sprinting roughly four to five days a week with my weight training. I am trying to achieve a very lean, cut, lo w body fat percentage body. If anyone could please give us more information regarding this topic it would be much appreciated.

Also, you do not need or want glycogen in your muscles. What you want is to be fat adapted. I would recommend searching for Dr.Greg Ellis on youtube. He covers this topic insensitively.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    I only sprint in a fasted state. I do it first thing in the morning after a cup or two of strong black coffee. My first meal is at least two hours after the sprint session. I've found no better way of burning fat and getting leaner.

BennettC, four or five sprint sessions a week is excessive to say the least and will likely lead to over training and burnout. If you are doing them balls to the wall, all out and also doing intense weight training, you'll need more recovery time for sure. When I'm looking to get a little more lean, I do one weight training session and two sprint type sessions over about a weeks time. I only do this for a short period though.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    I only sprint in a fasted state. I do it first thing in the morning after a cup or two of strong black coffee. My first meal is at least two hours after the sprint session. I've found no better way of burning fat and getting leaner.

BennettC, four or five sprint sessions a week is excessive to say the least and will likely lead to over training and burnout. If you are doing them balls to the wall, all out and also doing intense weight training, you'll need more recovery time for sure. When I'm looking to get a little more lean, I do one weight training session and two sprint type sessions over about a weeks time. I only do this for a short period though.
    Ive cut down to three a week now. Two of them balls to the walls, one is a mile rune and the other is short distance sprints (30m, 60m, 100m, 150m). The third is on hills off road and has to be taken slower. I injured my foot and its still recovering. I also am having good results by not feeding myself too soon after my workout. I take the time to walk for a while and do some stretching.

I also have switched from weight training to body weight calisthenics also incorporating isometrics in my regimine. Training outside, getting more sun, enjoying my workouts much more. Have add raw dairy into my diet and am seeing massive gains

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a sprinter but do like to run marathons and 50k's. In the last month or so, I have not eaten before any of my long runs, which have been between 2-3 hours, and stopped taking any GU's with me. The only thing I bring is my hand held filled with water, and have been feeling great!