Thread: fat doesnt make you fat? page

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member

fat doesnt make you fat?

Primal Fuel
    My understanding on grains is that the crabs turn into sugar then insulin turns it into fat. Thats why grain makes you fat.

We all eat fat. Whats the difference between eating fat or having something convert into fat in your body?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    You should start with a search of both the forum and the MDA posts.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    My understanding on grains is that the crabs turn into sugar then insulin turns it into fat. Thats why grain makes you fat.

We all eat fat. Whats the difference between eating fat or having something convert into fat in your body?
    You eat fewer total calories when eating fat rather than carbs because fat has a greater satiety. You feel fuller and so eat less.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    My understanding on grains is that the crabs turn into sugar....
    Wait, your grains turn into crustaceans?

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    This link is a great summary.
    How We Get Fat | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

" Carbs are rarely converted to fat and stored as such
    When you eat more carbs you burn more carbs and less fat; eat less carbs and you burn less carbs and more fat
    Protein is basically never going to be converted to fat and stored as such
    When you eat more protein, you burn more protein (and by extension, less carbs and less fat); eat less protein and you burn less protein (and by extension, more carbs and more fat)
    Ingested dietary fat is primarily stored, eating more of it doesn’t impact on fat oxidation to a significant degree

Let’s work through this backwards. When you eat dietary fat, it’s primary fate is storage as its intake has very little impact on fat oxidation (and don’t ask me a bunch of questions about “But people say you have to eat fat to burn fat?” in the comments. That idea is fundamentally wrong but would take an entire article to address). It also doesn’t impact greatly on the oxidation of the protein or carbohydrates.

Carbohydrates are rarely converted to fat (a process called de novo lipogenesis) under normal dietary conditions.
    One is with massive chronic overfeeding of carbs. I’m talking 700-900 grams of carbs per day for multiple days. Under those conditions, carbs max out glycogen stores, are in excess of total daily energy requirements and you see the conversion of carbohydrate to fat for storage. But this is not a normal dietary situation for most people.

A few very stupid studies have shown that glucose INFUSION at levels of 1.5 total daily energy expenditure can cause DNL to occur but this is equally non-physiological. There is also some evidence that DNL may be increased in individuals with hyperinsulinemia (often secondary to obesity). There’s one final exception that I’ll use to finish this piece.

But when you eat more carbs, you burn more carbs and burn less fat. And that’s why even if carbs aren’t directly converted to fat and stored as such, excess carbs can STILL MAKE YOU FAT. Basically, by inhibiting fat oxidation, excess carbs cause you to store all the fat you’re eating without burning any of it off. Did you get that? Let me repeat it again."

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    Wait, your grains turn into crustaceans?
    Hmmm....mine usually just itch.