Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So... This is crazy page

Borderbag is offline Junior Member

So... This is crazy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been on the primal diet now for about six months and dropped from 197 to about 168. I'm 6'1", and relatively lean, although packed serious flab in the gut when I was just south of 200 lbs. Mark's plan worked exactly as advertised: I shed pounds extremely quickly (over the course of about 6 weeks) and now hover between 165 and 168. Exercise regularly... Lots of burpees, bodyweight exercises, pushups, pullups, situps, chinups, sprints and running.

I just got back from a 3 week vacation stateside (I live overseas) and ate totally non-primal for about 3 weeks. Very little exercise either... We were on the road much of the time and it was very difficult to eat like I've become accustomed to. But the other reason to be completely honest was a little test... I wanted to see how quickly I'd gain weight if I totally abandoned primal and went back to my old habits.

Here's the crazy part: I got back home and hit the gym and scale the next day and I had LOST weight! Like 3 pounds... Down to 165 lbs. Has me totally perplexed because I really did pig out and sit on my butt for 3 weeks. Lots more bad carbs than usual; fast food; ice cream... the whole nine.

I'm speculating here but my theory is that the primal blueprint is so efficient, that once you train your body to burn fat instead of carbs it takes a long time (apparently longer than 3 weeks) to reverse the positive effects if you "fall off the wagon" for a spell.

The other thing I've noticed is that I can absolutely pig out on primal foods with no worries at all about weight gain. It's astounding that I can stuff my face -- with healthy food of course -- and stay relatively constant weight-wise (within a pound or two).

If I'm right about my theory, than going primal is more revolutionary than I thought... It's actually a very forgiving diet plan/lifestyle change that allows for the occasional slip up -- even three weeks worth of slip ups.

So, any thoughts on what gives here? Is my theory right?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I think that 'stuffing your face' now results in you consuming far less food than when you were eating a SAD diet.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

patski is offline Senior Member
    Methinks merl is on to something.

I can't say the same has always been true for me.

I just came back from honeymooning in LA for 6 days, and actually...even though I ate nowhere near primal for most of the time, I don't think I gained any.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Congrats patski.

I'm currently eating one meal a day (IF'ing 20hrs a day), and even though I eat until completely full (and then some) each day, it's still not as many total calories for the whole day as when I was eating breakfast as well.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

patski is offline Senior Member
    Thanks buddy!

I don't do well with fasting, as my adrenals are sapped. I still have to eat three meals a day, or I get ravenous and bitchy.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

peril is offline Senior Member
    So many think tbey have to lose weight to get healthy. You' ve demonstrated the converse
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you lost muscle.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I think that 'stuffing your face' now results in you consuming far less food than when you were eating a SAD diet.
    This.

Chances are, you weren't drinking calories now and you were on the SAD. The Primal Blueprint isn't magic. It's all calorie-based. The foods just provide better satiety so you don't realize you're cutting calories because you stay full. What likely happened is you were typically a low-carber and after prolonged low-carb, you held onto some water and the carb-up caused the "woosh" effect. In other words, you probably lost water weight your body was retaining from unknown caloric and carbohydrate restriction, you gave it a good about of carby foods and your body didn't feel like it needed to hold onto the water anymore.

My guess.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    I think your comment about being forgiving hits the spot, part of it is physiological response (body response), but a significant part is psychological, i.e. what you call bad now is nowhere near where you used to be.

There really aren't many ways to break the calories in vs calories out rule, the only one that comes to mind might be faulty digestion where you S#1T them out but otherwise all you can do is store them or burn them.

So there can only be three possible options:
    1/ You didn't eat as much as you thought.
    2/ You burn't more than you thought because of a metabolic increase.
    3/ They were of such a poor quality your body rejected them out right and decided flushing them was a better option.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    The calories in/out crowd will say it's all about calories, but I think there's more to it than that. By eating healthy primal foods and getting your body to work properly, your hormonal and metabolic responses to food are improved. You aren't triggering or exacerbating immune problems eating bad food all the time. Your metabolic hormones are in balance and working properly now. You are giving your body the nutrients it needs to build all the little chemicals it takes to make you a healthy, fully-formed human being. Your body can now respond to food properly, perhaps burning more of it at rest than before when you were eating poorly on a regular basis.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast