Thread: Seven months to a new me page

Samphis is offline Member

Seven months to a new me

Shop Now
    I figured I'd introduce myself, since those are the rules. I've been lurking for a while, and have been gobbling up the wisdom on the site and the forum.

I'm in my early thirties, and have a family history of diabetes, heart disease, ridiculously high cholesterol, lupus, and lots of other scary things. My personal history includes a lifetime of asthma, allergies, depression, and lots of other scary things as well. Conventional Wisdom led me to going vegetarian for 2011 and I reached my highest weight and lowest health. In January, a friend posted on Twitter about Paleo, and this crazy 30 day thing he was going to try called the Whole30. I thought, what the hell.

I found this site from an interview that Dallas and Melissa posted on www.whole9life.org

In the seven months since then, I've lost 37 pounds and gone from sitting on my arse all day at work and home (frequently doing as much as 2 hours per day on a recumbent bike trying to cardio the fat off) to swinging a 40 pound kettlebell around a few times a week and just walking, hiking and taking the stairs. I'm very strict on the diet and cut out breakfast about six weeks ago doing intermittent fasting every day, while terrifying my coworkers about "shutting down my metabolism."

The asthma and allergies are gone, my blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol are textbook and I'm feeling better than I have in my entire life.

I entertain myself with Fitocracy, researching this stuff, walking and lurking in these forums. Thanks for the laughs and stories. I guess now that I've introduced myself, I'll start contributing.

I'd love to get my wife on board with this. I've been doing Paleo dinners and packed lunches, and she's still doing high-sugar, high-carb breakfasts, but has completely reversed diabetes thanks to my cooking two of the meals per day, and still thinks the damn diet is a hoax, all the while watching me lose 37 pounds. I just don't get it.

Samphis is offline Member
    Oh, and I make my own bacon now.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Samphis! Sounds like you are doing great. My housemate has seen me lose about 30 lbs of fat and improve in every way but stubbornly clings to the CW "healthy diet"! Here are my ideas on nudging someone to primal. But the short answer is to just keep on doing what you are doing.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

brighthorse is offline Senior Member
    welcome!

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Awesome, way to go! Sounds like another Success Story. Good luck on the domestic front...my wife and I are negotiating how to make it work for our family. I'm 95%, but she and the kids are maybe 50-60%, with toast, ice cream, other sweets... Family harmony demands I don't strongarm everyone, so we'll see how it evolves. I'm off to check out Hedonist's suggestions.

*Hedonist, that's a great page you have there. I'm taking it to heart.
    Last edited by Tom B-D; 08-09-2012 at 09:49 AM.