Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Way more energy when I don't eat... page

Clymb is offline Senior Member

Way more energy when I don't eat...

Primal Fuel
    So lately I have way more energy when I don't eat. Like insane amounts of energy--but a few minutes after I eat, I'm just exhausted and want to take a nap. I'm not really eating differently than before so I don't know what's up. I think I should also mention that I hardly ever have an appetite. I eat more because I feel like I should as opposed to because I'm hungry...because I'm never really hungry. My bf has been trying to get me to eat more lately, so I'v e been trying to do that a little bit, but if that's what's making me exhausted then I'm not sure how it's beneficial. I've tried looking up information on this myself but haven't come up with much. As an example: This morning I got up and had more energy than I've had in a long time. After a couple of hours I had breakfast, which was 2 eggs and 2 pieces of bacon cooked in a couple tablespoons of butter, thrown over a ton of lettuce. I put some salsa on top and also had a cup of coffee with some heavy cream. About half an hour later I felt exhausted and now I just want to sleep. Any thoughts?

NowhereMan is offline Senior Member
    what does your exercise look like and how much are you sleeping?

I rock climb 3-4 days a week, yoga almost every day, run/sprint once a week or so. I sleep maybe 8 hours a night? Something around there. I'm unemployed right now so I don't have a set time I wake up every morning or anything, but I usually wake up around 9:30 and fall asleep around 12-1 at night.

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    You may have some adrenal issues. When your adrenals are low you can have trouble digesting proteins. Maybe see what happens if you eat less protein at once.
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

Quote Originally Posted by mom5booklover View Post
    You may have some adrenal issues. When your adrenals are low you can have trouble digesting proteins. Maybe see what happens if you eat less protein at once.
    Interesting, hadn't thought of that. Well I just had another meal maybe 20 minutes ago and it had mostly carbs and less fat and protein, as opposed to breakfast which was obviously very low carb and heavier on the fat and protein. I actually feel more energized now...so maybe I need more carbs and less fat and/or protein? Guess I'll just wait a bit more and see if I get tired lol
    Last edited by Clymb; 08-07-2012 at 02:57 PM.

highaerials36 is offline Senior Member
    Add some carb sources. Seems like you're doing a lot of activity (I don't really know, is it a lot of work to rock climb 3-4 times a week?--I would think so). Add something, maybe like sweet potatoes or fruit. Don't be scared of good carb sources if you're a)doing a lot of exercise and b) you're not very overweight.
    "Carbs are the victim, not the crime" - ChocoTaco

Nady is offline Senior Member
    I have the same thing~ plenty of energy until I eat. Then I just bog down. So I Fast-5~ do all my eating at the end of the day, when the only thing left to do is relax. Maybe my *operating system* is like Windows Vista~ can only do one thing at a time

mcpheenom is offline Junior Member
    hmm...I have a very similar issue. I started doing the leangains fast until noon-1pmish and I have tons of energy from themoment I wake up until I eat. When I eat I tend to slow down quite a bit and even get tired if I eat heavy. I find that it helps if I simply reduce the size of my meals. I honestly feel like my body just doesn't need all of the food I typically give it due to my westernized upbringing. I don't actively try to restrict calories or anything but If I eat a lot I get super sleepy and foggy, if I cut back on the food a little I tend to be very energized and alert. My body will let me know when it needs more I guess, right now it seems to be saying it has plenty of nutrients.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I seem to be the same way to a degree... but I can't go too long or eat too little, or it bogs me down that way too. :-/

So why do you guys think we have more energy when we don't eat? I feel like if I only ate what I actually feel I needed to eat, that I would I be consuming very little nutrients.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast