Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Way more energy when I don't eat... page 2

cotter pin is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I recently had similar trouble, especially when fasting and trying to eat all of my daily calories within two large meals. I noticed an improvement when I maintained the same fasting schedule but spread the same calories across three smaller meals rather than two large meals.

While this provided a large improvement, I was still feeling somewhat sluggish after eating. Last week I started taking digestive enzyme supplements and I have noticed a HUGE increase in my mood and energy level after eating. From what I understand about digestive enzymes, our body naturally produces enzymes to breakdown foods / nutrients. However, producing these enzymes requires energy and our body's ability to produce enzymes can wane over time. Digestive enzyme supplements require less energy from our body and they also allow us to take more nutrients from the food we are eating.

If you are feeling sluggish, I would recommend researching digestive enzymes and consider picking up some to check out. It's worth a shot for $10. I'm very glad I did.

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Would eating more raw foods perhaps help then, because of the enzymes? I really want to eat raw primal but can't afford to right now. I used to eat raw and loved the energy, but I had too many raw desserts and nuts and gained weight. On primal I lose weight and barely have an appetite, but would like a bit more energy. I feel like combining the two would be awesome

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    I had a similar thing years ago fasting on watered down fruit juice over a 3 day weekend as an experiment. I had tons of energy.

Here's what I think is happening to you. In a word, insulin. When your insulin is low your brain's leptin receptors should be up. If you were Grok and hadn't eating for awhile what would your body/brain be telling you to do? Go hunt/gather. But since you don't have to hunt for food you use that excess energy to do other stuff. Once you've eaten you need to conserve energy so the insulin kicking up down regulates your motivation to move. You feel sluggish and sleepy...like you want to hibernate for a few hours.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    Would eating more raw foods perhaps help then, because of the enzymes? I really want to eat raw primal but can't afford to right now. I used to eat raw and loved the energy, but I had too many raw desserts and nuts and gained weight. On primal I lose weight and barely have an appetite, but would like a bit more energy. I feel like combining the two would be awesome
    I never understand this raw food thing being so complicated. Just throw a salad on your plate. Instant raw. Forget about raw fake baked goods and stuff like that.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    So why do you guys think we have more energy when we don't eat? I feel like if I only ate what I actually feel I needed to eat, that I would I be consuming very little nutrients.
    I think digestion takes a lot of energy! Doesn't seem to matter what I eat, once I become a food processing system, all other energy uses take a back seat. Maybe some people don't notice the difference because they've never fasted and had all energy available, or they're sugar burners and need to constantly 'stoke the furnace' to have any energy at all~ I know the 'low sugar crash' is worse than the 'just ate slump' Maybe it really normal though~ if you recall, it used to be common for people to take a 2 hour mid-day dinner break that included a nap or siesta.

Hmmm well that all makes sense. It's just that it's recently started happening, I suppose that's why I don't understand it.

And @sbhikes: All the raw "baked" goods are what made me gain weight years ago. They're delicious, but not worth it. And yeah raw veg and fruit is easy to do, it's just being able to afford raw/safe animal products that is an issue.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mom5booklover View Post
    You may have some adrenal issues. When your adrenals are low you can have trouble digesting proteins. Maybe see what happens if you eat less protein at once.
    I agree, it might be protein digestion/synthesis/absorption issues, which can in fact affect people in many of the ways described.

I'd suggest taking the HCL acid test (Google it), then determine the amount of HCL to take w/ each protein meal, eat less protein w/ each meal, CHEW your food very well & slowly, try those tweaks & see if you feel better/more energy after eating. I use Betain HCL w/ fenugreek, bought retail for now. It's 90 tabs for about 10 bucks & I take 3 tabs/meal & I'm looking to purchase some in bulk/wholesale soon.
    Last edited by Betorq; 08-12-2012 at 05:10 AM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Supersonic is offline Member
    I've been experiencing the same thing. Just yesterday after having my good meaty meal, all I wanted to do was sleep! I couldn't keep my eyes open.
    "You can have it all, but how much do you want it?"

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    why don't you just eat sporatically, ie. like you were intermitent fasting?. Just have one or two big meals from say 5-9pm, that way you would have energy all day.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    why don't you just eat sporatically, ie. like you were intermitent fasting?. Just have one or two big meals from say 5-9pm, that way you would have energy all day.
    That's close to how I usually eat, actually...energy in the morning and on until sometime in the afternoon until I decide to eat! My window of eating isn't that small though, so idk if that makes a difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12