Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Statins and Polyp... I'm 20 btw.. page

Enilegna/hearts is offline Senior Member

Statins and Polyp... I'm 20 btw..

Shop Now
    Errrmm... how do I start this...

I'm trying to follow the doctors orders but at the same time looking for alternative recommendations/advice. I've been eating Primal for about 10 months or so. I know people see cholesterol results here differently and I've been trying to familiarize myself with what do the numbers really mean, but after going to the doctor this morning and seeing him bulge his eyes out at my results, my knowledge blacked out:

Cholesterol 356 120-200
    Triglycerides 47 10-200
    DHDL 82.0 35-70
    LDL 265.0 0-129

Cholesterol/HDL Ratio 4.34
    LDL/HDL Ratio 3.23

Now, what has reamined in my mind about cholesterol is that you should get the triglycerides as low as possible, but I don't think I should rely completely in this, mainly because I [I]have[I] been feeling kind of odd sometimes in the chest area which has had me worried for a while now. Nothing really significant, but noticeable.

As for the polyp, I've been having some pain on my stomach for another while now. I remember when I was little having very painful like spams? on the upper part of my sides. I had them several times, although I can't remember how many, but when I told family members they would tell me that it was just 'air'. After going primal, I noticed that I didn't have them that often anymore. However there have been two instances where my sides have hurt like heck. First on my right side, then on my left, and the left one was the worst because I disticntly felt like something 'popped'. Afterwards, I've felt 'something' most of the times I eat, sometimes a little painful, but other I just notice it,until I decided to tell my dad and we went to get checked.

This is getting too long so sorry for that. The point is that I *think* this could be related to my diet, maybe in the quality of meat that I eat, that I'm pretty sure is not all the time (hormone free, organic fed and much less grass-fed). Apart from that I'ce noticed that eating things too high in fiber ends up giving me lower stomach pain, so then what I eat mainly consist of not so great quality meats, which is what I think caused the thingy on my gallbladder.

Again, I just want second opinions, based more on experience rather than what the tests say. Maybe theres a primal doc around here?
    My dad already went and ordered at the pharmacy statins so although they terrifiy me (from what I've read of them here), I don't see much of a choice in not taking them.

Ok. I think that's enough information. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Enilegna/hearts; 08-07-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Man this sucks... I told my mom and she turned into a crying mess. My stepmom on the other hand told me to lay down the fat and have a muffin for Breakfast XD

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Read through the first two posts in the primer in my sig.

The key thing is your ratios. You have two of your ratios there, but are missing Trig/HDL.
    Chol/HDL ratio (<4.5) Griff <5 - Yours = 4.34
    Trig/HDL ratio Griff <2 - Yours = 0.57
    LDL/HDL ratio Griff < 4.3 - Yours = 3.23

I don't see anything to get worried about there. Those are excellent ratios. Your trigs in particular indicate that your LDL is the good 'type A' kind, not the bad dense 'type B' kind.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

otzi Guest
    I'm no doctor, but with HDL and Trigs like yours, there is no way in hell I'd take statins. If you have to try to make your folks happy, get the pills but don't take them--they'll never know. Meanwhile, build a case against them. Check out Track Your Plaque Heart Disease Prevention and Reversal Online

Also, go to the Mark's Daily Apple homepage, use the search function to look at the many articles Mark Sisson has written about cholesterol and statins. Look for the Cholesterol thread on here, too.

Since you are 20, they will treat you like an idiot, but don't give in!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Statins screw up your hormones, which are derived from cholesterol. You are much too young for that
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

The key thing is your ratios. You have two of your ratios there, but are missing Trig/HDL
    These results only came with the two ratios I listed above. Below the results give some comments on the average ratios for CHOL?HDL and LDL/HDL for women and a Note which says Turbid Serum.

Thank you for the Cholesterol post, I'm reading it right now and it's easier to understand.
    Last edited by Enilegna/hearts; 08-07-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I'm no doctor, but with HDL and Trigs like yours, there is no way in hell I'd take statins. If you have to try to make your folks happy, get the pills but don't take them--they'll never know. Meanwhile, build a case against them. Check out Track Your Plaque Heart Disease Prevention and Reversal Online

Since you are 20, they will treat you like an idiot, but don't give in!
    That's pretty much what happened. I said to my dad: wouldn't it be better if I changed my diet first to see if the numbers improve a bit? He said: "Didn't you hear the doctor!? Your numbers are above three hundred. Don't be so careless you're damaging your health." I didn't talked to him on the way to the Pharmacy, but I felt like a pretty lousy daughter because he just wants to make sure I'm healthy.

I'ts more frustrating that my family is paying more attention to those cholesterol results than the thing in my gallbladder wall, which hurts and is more worrysome for me

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    I'd also recommend going over to Peter Attia's series on cholesterol - it looks like Griff's primer is now somewhat out of date (newer research). It's a 9 part series ...

The straight dope on cholesterol

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Daughter. There's no real correlation with high cholesterol in women. Show him the studies!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    My total cholesterol was well over 300 last time I had it checked, and I ain't dead. I'm 41.

((Gets on soapbox))

If you want to be healthy, stay off of statins. My two cents. (And I'm not a doctor.) Your dad can buy them for you, but he can't force you to take them if you don't want to.

And don't take my word for it. Look at the information that's out there, and come to your own conclusion. Google "Why statins are bad" and see what comes up. For that matter, Google "statins and women" and see what comes up. I bet it's eye opening.

((Steps off soapbox))

Good luck with this. It can't be easy when your family wants what's best for you, but you are positive that you know better. Be strong, and make your decision with confidence. It's your life. Do what you believe is best.

I'm really sorry to hear about the gallbladder woes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast