Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby Formula page

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

One of my relatives who can't breastfeed anymore is looking for acceptable infant formulas, but so far almost all of them have either soy, HFCS and always, as far as I have found, use industrial vegetable oils as a source of fats. It's Paleo-Hell.

Has anyone managed to find a more Paleo-friendly formula? If so I'd love to hear about it.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

maba is offline Senior Member

WAPF has recipes for homemade Baby Formula:

http://www.westonaprice.org/Recipes-for-Homemade-Baby-Formula.html

I remember someone posting here from France about the formula they feed their baby, that is way better than the American ones. Don't know if it's available in the US though. Will post the link if I can find it.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

thanks a lot Maba

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

maba is offline Senior Member

No problem, SS. Here's the thread I was talking about.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Need-some-help!

anniegebel Guest

If the baby is getting close to a year she can start trying out cow's milk, goat milk, whatever...most wait until a year, but I have a few friends who started transitioning as early as 10 months. And once baby starts food he or she can gets lots of good stuff that way and won't need as much formula or milk to get healthy fats and all that.

good luck.

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member

There's some controversy about non-human milk proteins and immune development you might want to look into. Caseins (it's a family of proteins) widen gaps in the infant (and in some circumstances, adult) intestinal lining, allowing some peptides to pass though. Many of these peptides may present antigens, allowing the developing immune system to identify substances it can learn an immune response to. Proteins from other animals have been suggested (may have been confirmed, but I'm not sure) to cause immune dysfunction as improper immunities are developed and can cause auto-immune issues later in life. I'm far from expert on the topic, but you might want to look into it before you give your child any animal milk.

Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

TenYearStorm Guest

There are breast milk banks (they pasteurize it, though). It's expensive and not offered everywhere but is 1000X better than formula.

Jeffrw is offline Junior Member

Unfortunately there are no acceptable baby formulas.

Tell her to buy a pump. You don't have to use one of those old school handpumps anymore. They have electric ones that are faster and extract more milk.

No matter what you are going from "primal" to "mcdonald's". With formula

Rheia is offline Junior Member

It's not just about choosing to pump or not. Some women end up with not enough milk or a huge depletion in milk supply and have no choice.

Some women try everything from natural methods (herbs, diet, lactation consultant, etc) to being on a prescription with no luck.

twinmama is offline Senior Member

I can tell you that sometimes a pump will not extract the milk... not matter the model. My breasts must have gotten as big as my head. I had preemie twins that could NOT nurse properly... and the pumps would not work.. AT ALL, I tried several, all the "top notch ones"... OMG, the number of people that handled my body in a 2 week time span to help was unreal. Pumps... baby attempts... It was overwhelmingly depressing.

Your friend needs to know that it's ok to do the best that she can for her baby. Without a food source, it will not matter the quality...

I personally would avoid soy, and weird ingredients.

I can tell you my babies were bottle/formula fed, on what I now recognize as probably not the BEST formula (but feed 2 babies at once... OMG!) I eliminated soy, and wacko chemicals... They are wickedly healthy children. And I can say even "more healthy" with fewer colds and such compared to many breast fed twins, they hang out with... mine have managed spectacular immune systems.

Breast is best, but eating is the most important variable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast