Carb Zero Bread

Primal Fuel
    Is this product legal? Carb Zero
    sounds really good!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leighanne View Post
    sounds really good!
    Does it?

Ingredients: Purified Water, Organic Gluten Free Oat Fiber, Egg Whites, Psyllium, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Cinnamon, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Stevia, Baking Soda.
    It seems the largest ingredient is water, since that comes first on the list? Why would I be paying for H₂O?

Aside from that, we have egg whites -- well I can crack an egg, if I want to eat those ... although personally I often ditch the white, since the yolk is the best-tasting bit and has a far better nutritional profile.

Then we've got a little oil and vinegar, some things to flavor it, and a raising agent -- the rest is fiber. Again, why would I be paying for fiber -- "roughage" as they used to call it in the old days. Of course, back then it was usually given to horses. Is psyllium Primal?

I’m not a fan of pounding out massive dump after massive dump just because you can. I mean, sure, you don’t want to be stopped up and unable to go when you want to, but there’s nothing inherently good or beneficial about padding your bowel stats and rending your bowel walls with insoluble fiber.

Read more: Is Psyllium Husk Primal or Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple
    I think it better to break the habit of looking for foods that are pale imitations of non-Paleo foods, containing dubious ingredients at high prices. Just enjoy real Paleo foods: grass-fed meat, wild-caught fish, organic vegetables ... my mouth is starting to water even thinking about real food.

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    Gotta agree with Lewis. These fakers are never as good as you think they will be. If you really want a bread substitute, try some almond flour bread (by Elana's Pantry) which is high in protein and very, very filling. But I personally avoid it all. What's the real flavor you miss? Or is it the dressings we add to make the bread palatable? I find more often that not, I miss the insides of the sandwich, not the actual bread.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciavyn View Post
    Gotta agree with Lewis. These fakers are never as good as you think they will be. If you really want a bread substitute, try some almond flour bread (by Elana's Pantry) which is high in protein and very, very filling. But I personally avoid it all. What's the real flavor you miss? Or is it the dressings we add to make the bread palatable? I find more often that not, I miss the insides of the sandwich, not the actual bread.
    Or, if you wanted to eat a piece of bread, you could eat an actual piece of bread (gasp). Nobody's perfect. The 20% is there for a reason.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Nady is offline Senior Member
    When I first discovered my gluten/eczema connection (many years before PB), I tried just about every gluten free substitute out there. I haunted the isles of Whole Foods and found gluten free pasta, bread, tortillas, I ordered things off the internet~ honestly, they all tasted I just don't waste my time or money anymore.

If bread is that important to you, then I agree~ make it part of your 20%.

mmack66 is offline Member
    Haven't heard about any legislation regarding this particular bread substitute, so it is likely legal.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    Or, if you wanted to eat a piece of bread, you could eat an actual piece of bread (gasp). Nobody's perfect. The 20% is there for a reason.
    And if you're gonna eat bread, might as well put a juicy burger between it...Jus sayin!
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Mark Sisson is one of the biggest influences in my life, but sometimes does a poor job explaining The Primal Blueprint. He can't rehash from the beginning in every article, so minor details are sometimes lost. Bread isn't bad because of carbohydrate. The Primal Blueprint has nothing to do with carbohydrate restriction. The Primal Blueprint is about avoiding toxic foods. You can eat all the watermelon, sweet potatoes, bananas and strawberries you want if it makes you feel good and you can manage your weight doing so. The idea is to avoid grains because they are literally poisonous.

Ingredients: Purified Water, Organic Gluten Free Oat Fiber, Egg Whites, Psyllium, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Cinnamon, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Stevia, Baking Soda.

The "bread" is made out of oat fiber and psyllium. If you want to be running to the bathroom all day from eating large quantities of insoluble fiber and irritate your gut lining with nasty oat and psyllium proteins, then by all means consume this product. But it's still fake food with lousy ingredients. And I'm willing to bet it tastes like a brick. Just eat real food. If I'm going to eat junk, I'm going to eat a pint of ice cream or something. At least I'll enjoy that.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-07-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Just eat real food. If I'm going to eat junk, I'm going to eat a pint of ice cream or something. At least I'll enjoy that.
    What he said.

Make your calories count. This "bread" does not sound like it would be worth the calories in any way, shape or form. If I'm going to eat bread, I'm going to eat the best freaking bread I can get my hands on and enjoy it. No frankenfood.

TillyMonstar is offline Member
    Yeah, I say if you want some cinnamon bread, go with the real thing. Unless you have MAJOR problems with gluten (which I do-- so I avoid it) then I guess it depends. I still might go for the real thing, if I really wanted it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast