Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thank you, MDA - My relative is stopping statins today! page

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

Thank you, MDA - My relative is stopping statins today!

Primal Fuel
    One of the big things that I've learned since reading TPB and joining the MDA forum is that cholesterol isn't the demon that CW would have us believe and that statins are terrible for us.

Back in mid-July, I had dinner with a relative, and we started talking about health and whatnot, and started talking about cholesterol. She had been on statins for years (she's 70). I told her that my cholesterol was much higher than hers (by 100 points) and that I'm not dead yet. I told her that cholesterol is the body's firetruck that gets firefighters where they need to be to put out inflammation, which is the real danger. Reducing cholesterol does nothing to reduce inflammation. We talked. A lot. She promised me that she'd make an appointment with her cardiologist to talk about stopping statins.

A few days later, she told me she had an appointment with her doc at the end of September. Okay, progress.

Fast forward to today. I just got off the phone with her. After staying with me for a weekend, she got interested in cutting wheat and eating cleaner, and she made an appointment with a local trainer -- who is a huge believer in paleo. She just had a long talk with him...and she told me that she has stopped statins effective immediately. She's got a moved-up appointment with her cardiologist, but she's done with statins.

I couldn't be happier. I'm convinced that even if she does nothing else, she has just improved her quality of life for the rest of her life. But she's not stopping there -- she's going to start working out with this terrific trainer, and she is switching over to a more primal/paleo way of eating.

I'm so relieved that I could cry.

I want to thank everyone here, especially Mark, for posting such helpful, eye-opening information about cholesterol. I can honestly say that without you folks, this day would not have come.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Cool story. I like making good information available and then letting family/friend/strangers come to their own conclusions. Glad to hear she's becoming proactive!

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Great! You convinced your relative to stop taking medicine prescribed to her by a doctor before even discussing it with her doctor. GREAT JOB!!!!!

Just so you know that is sarcasm. Tell your relative to talk to her doctor.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Great! You convinced your relative to stop taking medicine prescribed to her by a doctor before even discussing it with her doctor. GREAT JOB!!!!!

I'd have to be blind to miss the sarcasm. Thank you for your concern. My relative has spoken with her doctor, so the doc is aware of her decision to stop treatment. She also has a moved-up appointment with the doc. Shockingly, I didn't brainwash my relative into doing something she otherwise wouldn't do. She came to her own conclusion after speaking with me, her trainer, and doing research.

While I believe that there are many times we should unflinchingly follow a doctor's orders, statins for cholesterol is absolutely not one of those times.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Cool story. I like making good information available and then letting family/friend/strangers come to their own conclusions. Glad to hear she's becoming proactive!
    Thanks, Neckhammer -- so am I.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post

But I don't think her doctor will say "Off course you should stop takin medicine! I've been giving you them with the intention to hurt you!"
    Billie trips balls

I enjoy reading jimhensen's posts. So I know what to do the opposite of.

If my physician recommended statins, I'd find a new physician.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    I enjoy reading jimhensen's posts. So I know what to do the opposite of.

If my physician recommended statins, I'd find a new physician.
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    But I don't think her doctor will say "Off course you should stop takin medicine! I've been giving you them with the intention to hurt you!"
    Exactly. I'm sure it's not malice aforethought when doctors prescribe statins. That being said, it takes a long time for CW to shift -- and doctors aren't immune.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast