Thread: Genuine question - What IS a balanced diet? page

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member

Genuine question - What IS a balanced diet?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Asked someone this earlier as frankly, I have no idea what it means. After calling me a smartass, I'm still waiting for him to explain.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    It means different things for different people. I would say not eating just the one food group and getting all the nutrition you need to function properly.
    Balanced diet - plants and meat
    Unbalanced diet - All plants or all meat.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    In the olden days, when I used to ride my dinosaur to school, it meant three squares per day. And that usually meant an animal product, a veggie, and a "starch." (Starch = carbs).

And that almost would have worked except we don't move as much as we used to. More importantly, our food sources have largely been corrupted. And in our "bigger is better" world, we've supersized and buffet'ed (don''t you hate when people turn a noun into a verb?) our way to a world of unhealth and illness.

The old balanced meal approach could certainly work with primal. Veggie omelette with a little potato, lunch (bigass) salad with animal product on top, hunk o' animal, some greens, and a sweet potato or cauliflower for supper.

Unfortunately, by the time the population's health was so bad that obesity was an epidemic, balance usually meant a big mac in one hand and a sugar soda in the other.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Balanced diet is one that puts money in equal proportions into the pockets of the meat, dairy, corn, wheat and soy lobbies.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Timthetaco Guest
    It's how people refer to their own diets while pompously tearing down the diets of others. It doesn't really mean anything.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    to me, a balanced diet is whatever proportion of nutrients that helps you experience optimal health. I track everything i eat in cronometer to make sure I get enough vitamins and minerals. I just looked at my macronutrients... for the last three months, I've been averaging about 38.7% fat, 31.7% protein, and 29.6% carbs. So oddly enough, a balanced diet for me is pretty close to evenly balanced macronutrients.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    It means you can hold your plate with one hand without dropping any food.

Marnee is offline Senior Member
    It's a variation on the logical fallacy Argument to moderation and a floating abstraction.