Thread: making coconut milk kefir page

making coconut milk kefir

Primal Fuel
    Anyone making their own coconut milk kefir? I tried the other day and it was a flop. I tried using the kefir starter and followed the directions but that didn't work out for me...

where do you get your kefir grains? can I order them from amazon? they sell them but is that a good way to get them?

I am awaiting my kombacha starter...we shall see how that goes.

thnx

Paleobird Guest
    I buy the cultured coconut milk from the So Delicious company but it has a tetch of maltodextrin in it so I have been wanting to make some on my own.

Disappointing that yours bombed.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Did you use water or milk Kefir grains? I found that water grains gave me a better result. I've read that they won't grow, so you'd need to keep making water kefir to get a steady supply of viable grains.

However, I've now gone over to making only raw milk kefir, so I no longer have water kefir grains...

Any grains you buy from eBay should be fine.

thanks

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    I use milk kefir grains, I ferment for two days and when finished go back to milk for awhile. You can't continually ferment your grains with coconut milk, must give them a rest. I have been making water and milk kefir for three years so have been fairly successful.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I make coconut water kefir with water kefir grains, and brew my own kombucha. I have ordered from Cultures for Health before, but now I have networked with several local people/friends/acquaintances to exchange grains and scoby.

Cultures for Health also has detailed instructions and information if you're new and unsure. I had a problem with the kombucha I made and they were helpful. I haven't ordered from them in a while though. Good luck!!