Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Etymology of Hate page 2

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    Lack of resources have certainly caused wars, recently, many wars. It does all come down to protection of the things that humans materially "own". People, I think, give a cursory thought to the others who suffer at expense of this material ownership, but, like a dog with a bone, we aren't likely to share, or stop fighting for our little scrap. It doesn't occur to the dog, that by keeping the scraps from his fellow, starving dogs, that he might be aiding in the death of his species, but, as humans, certainly we should recognize the folly of selfishness? Maybe we can't see that.
    I think many are still too deeply involved in the day to day. The number of people driving expensive cars while in serious debt is proof that not everyone thinks of the impact of their own actions on the future, let alone on a global basis.

Not to get religious or anything, but some would debate that "selfishness" is the original sin. You're not born angry or sadistic, but a being born with a healthy amount of self-preservation goes a long way toward making it out of infancy.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I believe we have an in-born need to be part of a tribe or pack that extends beyond our selves and our immediate family. Creation of an "other" is way to intensify the bonds within the tribe.

I also believe that a great deal of our suffering is brought on by lack of awareness of the egoic mind. This part of the brain will continually seek out "more" and "better" and will encourage us to look for fault in "others" as a way to reassure itself that it is good. Once you become aware of those thoughts they become much less powerful.

I hate to sound "foofooy" but the world needs an awakening to why we do what we do.
    The world could certainly use enlightening, but many don't get an introduction to philosophy, psychology, sociology, and world religion/culture, unless they attend a four year college and are exposed to these mandatory introductory classes. Most are content with a passing grade in these courses, and I've had many a college pal complain about these requirements. "But I'm a scientist, or an accountant, or a business major, or a lawyer- I don't NEED these classes," is what they say to me. But to be a functional, rational, ethical person, I think you need these courses. You need to understand how others work, how you work, how society works, before you can be a useful member. Children used to study Latin, not just the language, but the classic stories, the philosophers, and the history of the Western world (and beyond). I think young people need to go back to this.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    We are jerks because women like jerks. A few generations of breeding with the nice guys is all it will take to shift the genes, ladies.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    We are jerks because women like jerks. A few generations of breeding with the nice guys is all it will take to shift the genes, ladies.
    Crap. I bred with a jerk and now I have a nice guy, but no more breeding for either of us.

I raised the kids right. Does that count?
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Wolf packs have an "omega" member (or members) that the other wolves pick on. There is speculation that this brings the rest of the pack together by giving them a common goal.

Personally, I'd rather be more evolved than a wolf, but it would explain the pack mentality of children and teenagers. After the human brain is fully developed, it seems pathetic that anyone would hate someone because they were told to hate them.

You've got to be taught
    To hate and fear,
    You've got to be taught
    From year to year,
    It's got to be drummed
    In your dear little ear
    You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid
    Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
    And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,

You've got to be taught before it's too late,
    Before you are six or seven or eight,
    To hate all the people your relatives hate,
    You've got to be carefully taught!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I have parrots and have spent most of my life learning about bird behavior. Birds basically have only two words in their vocabulary. Me and Mine. I think people are pretty much the same.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Crap. I bred with a jerk and now I have a nice guy, but no more breeding for either of us.

I raised the kids right. Does that count?
    Let's put it this way... My dad was a jerk and my brother and I were raised right. He became an ass all on his own and I'm an ever so slightly too violent individual who gets away with it because I'm clever.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Wolf packs have an "omega" member (or members) that the other wolves pick on. There is speculation that this brings the rest of the pack together by giving them a common goal.

Personally, I'd rather be more evolved than a wolf, but it would explain the pack mentality of children and teenagers. After the human brain is fully developed, it seems pathetic that anyone would hate someone because they were told to hate them.

You've got to be taught
    To hate and fear,
    You've got to be taught
    From year to year,
    It's got to be drummed
    In your dear little ear

You've got to be taught to be afraid
    Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
    And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,

You've got to be taught before it's too late,
    Before you are six or seven or eight,
    To hate all the people your relatives hate,
    You've got to be carefully taught!
    just thinking about this song ~ from the movie South Pacific~ it has more power when sung, I think.

Last edited by Nady; 08-06-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    You guys are over analizing. People compete for resources. The excuse given for wars is everything from religion to whatever. Once population get high enough to strain resource availability competition for those resources set up conflict. Y
    Hawaii, for example,was settled by the same people who began to war with each other once the population got large enough.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    Children used to study Latin, not just the language, but the classic stories, the philosophers, and the history of the Western world (and beyond). I think young people need to go back to this.

...because when they did, it made such a difference?
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast