Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Circus Fat Men 100 Years Ago

Hybrid View

Circus Fat Men 100 Years Ago

Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Wow, that's really interesting!

I think what is upsetting to me is "fat pride". I've noticed a lot of heavily obese women refer to themselves as "real women" and "curvy". They're not a pleasantly plump 140 pound "Marylin", either. While I don't like people being bullied, being obese is not something you should feel happy with. It's not just about looks. Heart disease and diabetes are not good.

Amazing how times change!

Quote Originally Posted by GuineaPigQueen View Post

I think what is upsetting to me is "fat pride". I've noticed a lot of heavily obese women refer to themselves as "real women" and "curvy". They're not a pleasantly plump 140 pound "Marylin", either. While I don't like people being bullied, being obese is not something you should feel happy with. It's not just about looks. Heart disease and diabetes are not good.

THANK YOU! I feel the same way. Being obese is not having "curves". Fat pride disgusts me, it's not OK at all.

Good to know that 140 pounds is "pleasantly plump"

Quote Originally Posted by unsuperb View Post
    Good to know that 140 pounds is "pleasantly plump"
    As I understand it, Marylin Monroe was around 140-150 during at least a chunk of her life. She's a woman "curvy" women constantly compare themselves to or to justify their obesity. I'm not saying 140 is obese, but actual obese people use her to justify their own weight...despite the fact they may be 200+ pounds.

And yes, depending on your height and muscle tone, 140 might be "pleasantly plump". This is just my opinion. The heaviest I've been at 5'6" was 135 pounds (without muscle tone) and 10 pounds more would likely be what I consider plump.

Individual obese people who I have no relation to do not concern me. What concerns me is the issues my children, grandchildren, and so on will have to face.

It is the pendulum swinging the other way - finally. Fat women have been told that they are worthless and unlovable simply because they are fat - and in spite of whatever other amazing contributions they may make to this world. So now they are reclaiming it and saying screw everyone - I WILL love myself. For now that is manifesting as loving the "curves". Ultimately the happy middle ground should be reached where someone can say I am overweight, that is less than ideal for my health, but I am still as valuable a human being as the next person.

Fat women are treated like complete and total shit in the US. I for one would rather see some fat pride than watch these women be bullied in to hiding in their homes.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    It is the pendulum swinging the other way - finally. Fat women have been told that they are worthless and unlovable simply because they are fat - and in spite of whatever other amazing contributions they may make to this world. So now they are reclaiming it and saying screw everyone - I WILL love myself. For now that is manifesting as loving the "curves". Ultimately the happy middle ground should be reached where someone can say I am overweight, that is less than ideal for my health, but I am still as valuable a human being as the next person.

Fat women are treated like complete and total shit in the US. I for one would rather see some fat pride than watch these women be bullied in to hiding in their homes.
    I'd like to clarify I am not "fat hating". I think bullying anyone into thinking they're worthless is despicable. I am no stranger to merciless bullying. I got the crap beat out of me by people I didn't even know in High School for one silly reason or another.

I just also happen to think it sad when women ignore the health implications of being heavily overweight, and feel it's simply a matter of attractiveness. Obesity is rising so much recently!

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post

Well yeah, exactly! I think "fat pride" and "fat acceptance" can be a little dangerous... BUT I think it's awesome that overweight/obese women can start to feel good about themselves because they ARE worthwhile contributors to society - not because of their weight, but because of themselves. We are NOT our bodies! We are so much more than that!! Too many overweight women have been hated on for too long, and overlooked as "Lazy and worthless" when that's often far from the case. Fat women (and fat PEOPLE in general) should be treated with the same respect as those of normal weight

On the other hand, I do feel it's slightly dangerous... in that in recent years I've seen more and more young women embrace their overweight selves and I DO worry that it contributes to ill health. Sure they're not feeling the need to cover and hide each and every bulge (as my friends and I did back in the 80s/90s when we were growing up). These new generation of girls will wear short skirts and crop tops and not care about the fat tummies and thighs! Gosh, I can't imagine being like that. I had a BMI of 20 and thought I was too fat to show any skin LOL. So on one side, I'm glad young women are feeling more free to be themselves despite being larger BUT I worry about their future health.

I wish the'd all find paleo/primal eating and learn healthy ways to lose weight that won't leave them miserable and deprived! Not to get to some "skinny" ideal, but just to lose some of the excess and get to a healthy BMI with good muscle tone etc.

So I guess... I see the positives as well as the negatives. I'm glad so many young women DON'T have the hangups I had as a completely not overweight young woman who thought she was too "fat" cause she had big thighs and a tummy that wasn't flat. I thought I looked gross cause my body wasn't that of a model in magazines, and that no man could ever hope to love me because he'd freak out at the sight of my fat (yup, serious issues there...)

I also think it's maybe better to be a little overweight and content and happy, than forever dieting and suffering to try to maintain an "ideal" figure (but obviously doing it all wrong and affecting one's health in the meantime).

Monroe was not plump. She was utterly tiny most of her life, ranging from a British size 8 to a 10, which would translate to a US size 4/6 to 8/10.

Her dressmaker had the measurements of Monroe's waist being 22 to 23 inches, and her hips at 35 to 36 inches and her bust at 35 to 37. While this is wonderfully hourglass, a waist at 22 inches is incredibly small. I have only had a waist this size when I was 21, and weighed about 105 pounds.

Interestingly, Monroe had a small waist than a lot of the current VS angels. Again, she had nearly the same measurements (albeit a slightly larger bust and hip and smaller waist) to Miranda Kerr or Adriana Lima. The difference, of course, is the height. She was about five inches shorter.

I suppose you could say VS angels are kinda *stretched* Monroes .

I will say though, that it was a hellova lot easier to be slim back in the 50s and 60s because of the lack of extremely processed products in the food chain. I reckon if we were all transported back to 1955, we'd find we all lost weight rather quickly unless we specifically ate loads of cake.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by alexgrace View Post
    Monroe was not plump. She was utterly tiny most of her life, ranging from a British size 8 to a 10, which would translate to a US size 4/6 to 8/10.

Her dressmaker had the measurements of Monroe's waist being 22 to 23 inches, and her hips at 35 to 36 inches and her bust at 35 to 37. While this is wonderfully hourglass, a waist at 22 inches is incredibly small. I have only had a waist this size when I was 21, and weighed about 105 pounds.

Interestingly, Monroe had a small waist than a lot of the current VS angels. Again, she had nearly the same measurements (albeit a slightly larger bust and hip and smaller waist) to Miranda Kerr or Adriana Lima. The difference, of course, is the height. She was about five inches shorter.

I suppose you could say VS angels are kinda *stretched* Monroes .

I will say though, that it was a hellova lot easier to be slim back in the 50s and 60s because of the lack of extremely processed products in the food chain. I reckon if we were all transported back to 1955, we'd find we all lost weight rather quickly unless we specifically ate loads of cake.
    Interesting, I never knew all that.

They should do a movie on being transported back to 1955. Maybe they could create a car that time travels or something. Maybe with a flux capacitor or something?

Seriously, I would love to at least visit that time period. That's like the golden age of being American.