Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Circus Fat Men 100 Years Ago page 9

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyMac703 View Post
    Exactly. There's a difference between acknowledging that not everyone is wired to be a size 0 and saying that being size 16 is totally fine and normal and healthy.
    I don't find fat people attractive. At all. So I don't date/have sex with them. It's the individual's right to be unhealthy and not conscious of what they put into their body if they want to. But it's also my right not to associate with them if I don't want to.

Exactly, There's a difference between acknowledging that not everyone is wired to be heterosexual and saying that being homosexual is totally fine and normal and healthy.
    I don't find homosexuals attractive. At all. So I don't date/have sex with them. It's the individual's right to be unhealthy (alarmingly high AIDs rate for gay men for example) and not conscious of what they put into their body if they want to. But it is my right not to associate with them if I don't want to.

Pretty much the same example but one automatically labels you a bigoted prick the other is just hating on fat people. And while being attracted to the same sex might be inborn or not something one chooses engaging in a sex act is a choice (outside of rape of course). Given that the CDC estimates only 4% of the population are men having sex with men yet they account for 61% of new AIDs cases and make up 49% of the people with AIDs one could justifiably argue that they are only against male homosexual sex acts for the sake of their health and the strain they put on the medical system. Much the same argument some make for obesity. Again, one makes you a bigot, the other makes you hate on fat people which is fine apparently.

Of course the above is not a perfect example, and for the record I do not give two shits who has sex with who (assuming all are adults and able to consent) I just find it interesting that some groups are fair game while others are not.

www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/.../fastfacts-msm-final508comp.pdf
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    The reason it's not a perfect example is that it is possible for a person to change their body fat percentage (and most people want to) while others argue it isn't possible to change one's sexual orientation.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    The reason it's not a perfect example is that it is possible for a person to change their body fat percentage (and most people want to) while others argue it isn't possible to change one's sexual orientation.
    Some would argue it is possible to change your sexual orientation. Though, honestly I find those people rather frightening. That said, it is possible to want homosexual sex and not have it, much like it is possible to crave certain foods and not eat them. Either way, not perfect as I said, but eh, whatever. I just don't like people hating on other people, but YMMV.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    Like Scott F said, it's apples and oranges. The vast majority of the medical community believes (despite many of them being misinformed about nutrition) that everyone is capable of achieving and maintaining a healthy bodyfat percentage, and that homosexuality is generally accepted as being innate and unchangeable.
    And fwiw, trying to make everyone all tolerant and accepting of every other person on the planet is beyond a lost cause. You can't force someone to like someone else, whatever happened to live and let live?
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    happened to live and let live?
    Sadly it seems to have gone the way of bell bottoms, LSD, and giving a shit about someone besides me, me, me.

(Damn, I miss.... bell bottoms, yeah that.)

Quote Originally Posted by AmyMac703 View Post
    You can't force someone to like someone else, whatever happened to live and let live?
    Understood, and I don't. I also agree 100% that sexuality is innate. I am merely saying that the act of sex is voluntary whether it be hetro, homo, or some combination of the above, much like the need to eat is innate yet whether one consumes healthy food or crap is a voluntary matter. Also, I practice live and let live. I don't care if people are short, tall, fat, thin, gay, straight or whatever. I judge them based on the content of their character, which I think is separate from the number on the scale or what they do in the bedroom.

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    ...nor do we make fun of meth addicts.
    Speak for yourself! I live across the street from meth addicts/dealers. I hate them and hope they'll die. Soon. Meanwhile, part of my defense is making fun of them, as they are fucking idiots and their addiction is their own fault. I'd move, but own the property and am under water. Hell, maybe they're making fun of me. Fucking meth addicts - may their lab blow up and burn them to death.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I live across the street from meth addicts/dealers.
    I get it, but we don't have entire movies mocking their appearance and making them the butt of jokes. I dunno, I just remember in COLLEGE trying to go get my education- a nice person, well dressed (no ass hanging out), hard working and having to deal with fellow students MOOING at me and pointing at my ass. Treating me like I was a meth addict causing trouble in their hood. I had to go work in studio with these people and eventually gave up and worked in my dorm room. No one laughed at the skinny girl. Or for that matter the fat man. Just the fat girl. Do you think that it is acceptable to make someone feel that unwelcome in a public space? Do you realize that happens? Do you think it is OK to say- hey I don't want to mate that fat ass, so I'll mock her so she leaves the education she is paying for? I wasn't trying to strip or pick up guys, just trying to complete my projects in studio.

And fwiw, trying to make everyone all tolerant and accepting of every other person on the planet is beyond a lost cause. You can't force someone to like someone else, whatever happened to live and let live?
    That was all I wanted. JUST IGNORE ME. Let me work. But it didn't happen. I think the Fat Acceptance people are just trying to get the people that mocked me to STFU and let me get educated, not trying to make them date me.

Honestly, you won't understand what it feels like until it happens to you. But yeah, I guarantee you that those types of comments and treatment have caused fat people to give up on education, leave jobs and probably fueled more than one suicides. Nice people. Smart people. Kind people. That just happened to have one very visible health issue.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    Speak for yourself! I live across the street from meth addicts/dealers. I hate them and hope they'll die. Soon. Meanwhile, part of my defense is making fun of them, as they are fucking idiots and their addiction is their own fault. I'd move, but own the property and am under water. Hell, maybe they're making fun of me. Fucking meth addicts - may their lab blow up and burn them to death.
    I feel your pain. I had a house next to me that was rented to different meth cookers. For some reason they thought they need to come over to my house for whatever. The first weekend one family had moved in they blew up the chicken house, made a big fireball. From were we were it looked like the house had gone up in flames. We knew they had a baby....called 911. Another time a family of cookers had pit bull dogs. They turned them loose just before they left. The male came over to our house and bit down on my dog. Long story short, I had to race home 25 miles to shoot it. Another time two guys had moved in and they tried to extort $750 from me saying my daughter ran over their dog and broke its leg. The dog was running down the middle of the gravel, country road next to the owner's car. My daughter met them coming the other direction. The dog's right leg (next to the owner's car) is what got broke. IOW the dog got spooked and moved closer to the owner's car and he ran over his dog's leg. The house finally burned down. Here's a picture of it going up in smoke

Last edited by Scott F; 08-09-2012 at 07:28 AM.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

SentWest is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Yeah... but here is the thing. I used to be 300lbs. People were quite unkind and I KNOW I lost out on jobs because of it. I know I was treated differently by professors in design school than the petite girls. It went beyond just being laughed at and not getting laid. Basically people treat you like less of a human.
    I'm with you. I've been overweight since I was 12. Trust me, being a fat girl in Southern California in the 90's was not a whole hell of a lot of fun. Also being a fat nerd unironically before it was cool to be an ironic nerd was awesome. The only saving grace was I was too big to get shoved in a locker, and too heavy for teenage string beans to dump in a trash can.

People seem to be making an erroneous jump though from "I don't support the fat acceptance movement" to "I want fat people to die in a fire while we all point and laugh."

I think pro-anna stuff is misguided and terribly wrong too, but I also don't want to be cruel to thin people or people with actual anorexia problems to not get help if they need and/or desire it. Same thing, I'm just generally not an enabler, I'm not good at putting up with justifications for self-destructive nonsense.

Where I get annoyed, is when the message goes from "loving ourselves" to "you must also love me regardless of how you personally feel about anything."

(Full disclosure: I'm also a total hypocrite, because I also engage in self-destructive nonsense myself, I just don't need anyone else to be okay with it too.)

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast