Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Circus Fat Men 100 Years Ago page 5

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    If you think the women in the Dove Beauty Campaign are fat asses, I feel sorry for you.

I hate that we have 1. a definition of beauty that only includes the VS model. And then we start thinking a healthy female body is fat. To me it looks like every last one of the Dove women is healthy. None of them have flabby stomachs. They all have some tone to their legs. None of them would have made the "fat lady" podium back in 1900.

Probably most of the women here that eat steak and lift heavy things LOOK like the dove models. Those ripped fitness models are not normal women following Primal Blueprint. They are either very lucky genetically or work very hard to stay leaner than a woman's body wants to be.

Women have body fat and curve to their ass, thighs and hips in many/most cases.
    That's exactly what I was thinking! I work out with weights and eat 95% primal but I definitely look a lot more like the Dove models. A lot of people seem to think that dedicating an hour a day to working out combined with eating primal at a 100-200 calorie deficit daily will yield a fitness model body. Totally not true -- I know cause I've done it! I dunno how many hours a day it would take for me to get there, but I can tell you it is more than I have leftover after accounting for work, sleep and other obligations.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    So glad to know 140 is "plump" considering that I'm at 154 and about 20% body fat. This is what our messed-up perceptions of bodies does to us. I'm somewhere in between the Dove and the VS models. I'm disturbed that there are people out there who I'm sure still see me as not lean enough because you can only sort of see my ribs and just the sides of my abs rather than the six-pack, and there's still some fat on my thighs too. Those women in that Dove ad would mostly fall into a healthy BMI range, so don't give me nonsense about the fat-hate being all about "health".

I don't give a damn if a woman wants to wear short shorts at whatever her body size. I've had enough being shamed for my body in my life--I admire women who can wear what they feel like and be proud of it.

These fat-shaming threads make me lose immense respect for a lot of people every time they come around.

Oh, and I'll never, ever weigh 120 unless I get seriously ill. Guess I should cover up and never dare to venture out of the house in anything less than walking shorts lest I horrify someone with my monstrous thighs.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I just look at the humerus of a person to gauge their overall health. It usually correlates to the rest of the body's composition. Not always, but it's a fine tool for comparing a crowd against another. The Victoria's Secret models are all clearly protein-depleted, there should never, or perhaps rarely, be concavity between the shoulder and the elbow in a healthy adult. Then you've got the heavier set below, with a lot more fat on their arms - but several of them also have more muscle. A lot more muscle! If you tracked both groups, and they did not change their habits, I promise the bottom row will outlive the top row hands down - and probably feel happier the whole time. In CW world, I would personally choose a chubby and happy body over a skinny and worthless one.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    So glad to know 140 is "plump" considering that I'm at 154 and about 20% body fat. This is what our messed-up perceptions of bodies does to us. I'm somewhere in between the Dove and the VS models. I'm disturbed that there are people out there who I'm sure still see me as not lean enough because you can only sort of see my ribs and just the sides of my abs rather than the six-pack, and there's still some fat on my thighs too. Those women in that Dove ad would mostly fall into a healthy BMI range, so don't give me nonsense about the fat-hate being all about "health".

I don't give a damn if a woman wants to wear short shorts at whatever her body size. I've had enough being shamed for my body in my life--I admire women who can wear what they feel like and be proud of it.

These fat-shaming threads make me lose immense respect for a lot of people every time they come around.

Oh, and I'll never, ever weigh 120 unless I get seriously ill. Guess I should cover up and never dare to venture out of the house in anything less than walking shorts lest I horrify someone with my monstrous thighs.
    140lbs is "plump" for me but that's cause I'm only 4'11"! Using a particular number to designate "plump" or anything else is pretty stupid when you think of the range of body types a heights. Some women at my current weight would be skinny... I'm still overweight (in the high 130s now). For me to have 20% body fat, I'd have a weight of maybe 100lbs (and when I tell people that's my goal I get the "OMG but you'll look AWFUL! You'll be so SKINNY!" errm no I won't... not at my size).

As for the rest of your post, I agree! Even at my goal weight I know I won't be thin (because I never was when I was there last time!) and that's fine. I no longer have weird notions of what it takes to be "normal" that I grew up thinking when I was a kid... and for that I'm glad.

I don't care what people wear and I AM glad to see young women who aren't afraid to show off a bit of fat... I do get concerned for those who are obviously extremely overweight, but I'm still glad that they're not trying to cover up every inch of their bodies as they did back when I was younger!

Are you referring to my comment about 140 being "pleasantly plump"? I think I clarified that term as being a desirable trait. Sorry if you missed that post. I didn't realize that plump would be considered derogatory. My southern family used plump as a synonym for curvy. D'oh!

I actually miss when I was 135! I was actually trying to push around 140 while having muscle tone underneath back then. Inspired by one of my friends who happened to be 160 and gorgeously built. Having a rear end was wonderful. Now i'm 110 at 5'6" and my spine makes me think of a stegosaurus. Though I am a fan of dinosaurs.

dmc
    dmc is offline Senior Member
    Wonder how many of those "fat acceptance" people are chowing down at Chick Fil a...interesting how acceptance works often in just one direction.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    is this in reference to the daisy dukes in my walmart post? If so, you need to see the people of walmart thing. It's not about fat pride. It's not about the greatest generation. There are fat people, skinny people, white people, black people, costumed people, geriatric people - and they all look atrocious. They don't look proud. And I can't believe you if you tell me you would hire any one of the people in those pics.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
    is this in reference to the daisy dukes in my walmart post? If so, you need to see the people of walmart thing. It's not about fat pride. It's not about the greatest generation. There are fat people, skinny people, white people, black people, costumed people, geriatric people - and they all look atrocious. They don't look proud. And I can't believe you if you tell me you would hire any one of the people in those pics.

Poverty and lack of education. That's what the Walmart page is mocking.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Poverty and lack of education. That's what the Walmart page is mocking.
    +1

I think it's an awful site that mocks fat people, poor people, and sometimes people with mental illnesses.

I can't imagine how horrible I would feel having someone snap a covert picture of me and put it up for mockery on the internet.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by GuineaPigQueen View Post
    Are you referring to my comment about 140 being "pleasantly plump"? I think I clarified that term as being a desirable trait. Sorry if you missed that post. I didn't realize that plump would be considered derogatory. My southern family used plump as a synonym for curvy. D'oh!

I actually miss when I was 135! I was actually trying to push around 140 while having muscle tone underneath back then. Inspired by one of my friends who happened to be 160 and gorgeously built. Having a rear end was wonderful. Now i'm 110 at 5'6" and my spine makes me think of a stegosaurus. Though I am a fan of dinosaurs.
    Where I come from, plump is not in any way considered a compliment. It's a more polite way of saying "fatty", but the implications are the same. It's sort of like saying "but she has a pretty face" or "she has a lovely personality".

Owly's Journal

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast