Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    yes
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    It is the pendulum swinging the other way - finally. Fat women have been told that they are worthless and unlovable simply because they are fat - and in spite of whatever other amazing contributions they may make to this world. So now they are reclaiming it and saying screw everyone - I WILL love myself. For now that is manifesting as loving the "curves". Ultimately the happy middle ground should be reached where someone can say I am overweight, that is less than ideal for my health, but I am still as valuable a human being as the next person.

Fat women are treated like complete and total shit in the US. I for one would rather see some fat pride than watch these women be bullied in to hiding in their homes.
    I'd like to clarify I am not "fat hating". I think bullying anyone into thinking they're worthless is despicable. I am no stranger to merciless bullying. I got the crap beat out of me by people I didn't even know in High School for one silly reason or another.

I just also happen to think it sad when women ignore the health implications of being heavily overweight, and feel it's simply a matter of attractiveness. Obesity is rising so much recently!

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    So people were horrendously shitty to each other 100 years ago.

hooray?
    The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    Oh and shattering their self image constantly in the drive to "help" them is better? yes guide them to a healthy life but if a big woman is healthy enough for her own self and wants to feel good about herself, well who are you to say different?
    +1
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    I find fat women a lot more attractive than paleo women with low body fat (<20). I assure you that Grok would feel the same. But, of course, I see overweight women and I wish I could steer them to primal.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    If you think the women in the Dove Beauty Campaign are fat asses, I feel sorry for you.

I hate that we have 1. a definition of beauty that only includes the VS model. And then we start thinking a healthy female body is fat. To me it looks like every last one of the Dove women is healthy. None of them have flabby stomachs. They all have some tone to their legs. None of them would have made the "fat lady" podium back in 1900.

Both of these companies are pushing destructive habits for women. Just lift some heavy shit and eat a steak!
    Probably most of the women here that eat steak and lift heavy things LOOK like the dove models. Those ripped fitness models are not normal women following Primal Blueprint. They are either very lucky genetically or work very hard to stay leaner than a woman's body wants to be.

Women have body fat and curve to their ass, thighs and hips in many/most cases.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Fat women are treated like complete and total shit in the US. I for one would rather see some fat pride than watch these women be bullied in to hiding in their homes.
    I agree. I am treated BETTER and better the smaller I get. I can accept the lack of men desiring me sexually as a fat woman. Truly, their choice and I find fat men to be not sexually attractive. But wow, get down to a size 12 and I get sexual attention. So.... really guys will go for the Dove beauities as readily as the VS models.

But what gets me now is better treatment professionally, by store clerks, no one glares at my groceries any more. People talk to me, sit near me and al in all treat me like someone they want to be around. At 250-300lbs that was not the case.

Yeah, people should be healthy. But people with health issues such as smoking, drinking, drug use, lack of activity, poor diets (but thin).... don't face the discrimination fat people, particularly women do.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    It is the pendulum swinging the other way - finally. Fat women have been told that they are worthless and unlovable simply because they are fat - and in spite of whatever other amazing contributions they may make to this world. So now they are reclaiming it and saying screw everyone - I WILL love myself. For now that is manifesting as loving the "curves". Ultimately the happy middle ground should be reached where someone can say I am overweight, that is less than ideal for my health, but I am still as valuable a human being as the next person.

Well yeah, exactly! I think "fat pride" and "fat acceptance" can be a little dangerous... BUT I think it's awesome that overweight/obese women can start to feel good about themselves because they ARE worthwhile contributors to society - not because of their weight, but because of themselves. We are NOT our bodies! We are so much more than that!! Too many overweight women have been hated on for too long, and overlooked as "Lazy and worthless" when that's often far from the case. Fat women (and fat PEOPLE in general) should be treated with the same respect as those of normal weight

On the other hand, I do feel it's slightly dangerous... in that in recent years I've seen more and more young women embrace their overweight selves and I DO worry that it contributes to ill health. Sure they're not feeling the need to cover and hide each and every bulge (as my friends and I did back in the 80s/90s when we were growing up). These new generation of girls will wear short skirts and crop tops and not care about the fat tummies and thighs! Gosh, I can't imagine being like that. I had a BMI of 20 and thought I was too fat to show any skin LOL. So on one side, I'm glad young women are feeling more free to be themselves despite being larger BUT I worry about their future health.

I wish the'd all find paleo/primal eating and learn healthy ways to lose weight that won't leave them miserable and deprived! Not to get to some "skinny" ideal, but just to lose some of the excess and get to a healthy BMI with good muscle tone etc.

So I guess... I see the positives as well as the negatives. I'm glad so many young women DON'T have the hangups I had as a completely not overweight young woman who thought she was too "fat" cause she had big thighs and a tummy that wasn't flat. I thought I looked gross cause my body wasn't that of a model in magazines, and that no man could ever hope to love me because he'd freak out at the sight of my fat (yup, serious issues there...)

I also think it's maybe better to be a little overweight and content and happy, than forever dieting and suffering to try to maintain an "ideal" figure (but obviously doing it all wrong and affecting one's health in the meantime).

katemary is offline Senior Member
    Learn More
    Wow, a picture does tell a thousand words..to illustrate the change a century can impart. It shocked me to consider what is now not-unusual, was considered freakish. Just wow.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast