Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm getting a lot of concerned looks page

heatseeker is offline Senior Member

I'm getting a lot of concerned looks

Primal Fuel
    Both my shoulders are currently sporting nasty bruises from practicing cleans a lot lately. I did Crossfit's Grace workout (30 clean and jerk for time) on Saturday, and did 5x5 power cleans this morning. My form has improved by about 5000% with all the practice, but somebody please reassure me that I'll eventually stop bruising the crap out of myself! Someone at work is going to sit me down for the "who's hurting you" talk soon!

2tall is offline Member
    Once you learn how to gently meet the bar in its path, you'll stop bruising so much.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    May I suggest investing in some non-sleeveless tops for post-cleans days?

But really, you will bruise yourself less as your form improves, but for something like Grace, you're likely to still smack yourself now and then. I usually end up with a bruise on my collarbone. I also get bruises where the bar rests on the front of my shoulders for front squats because I tend to bruise easily and have very fair, thin skin, and the pressure by itself can bruise me enough that it shows.

If they ask about your bruises, just flex at them and ask if they think anyone is beating you up.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    If they ask about your bruises, just flex at them and ask if they think anyone is beating you up.
    Slow clap. This is definitely the answer.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Yup. Almost every time I do heavy-ish cleans I bruise a collar bone. I'd go with the 'wear a shirt that covers the bruises' approach if you don't want people asking. And if they do ask just explain that its from lifting weights.

2tall is offline Member
    Keep those shoulders up, the bar shouldn't touch your collarbone

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    Yup. Almost every time I do heavy-ish cleans I bruise a collar bone. I'd go with the 'wear a shirt that covers the bruises' approach if you don't want people asking. And if they do ask just explain that its from lifting weights.
    ... and if they don't believe you just invite them to join you in the guy for a demonstration, where you will show them how to Clean and they can get some fresh bruises of their own.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Thankfully I'm not bruising my collarbone, it's just some nice purple marks on each shoulder.

Sleeves it is, I guess. Am I the only one who finds it ironic that part of why I work out is to show off the bod, but then I'm too bruised up to do so?

Whatever, I kind of don't care because cleans are so fun. I went through the same thing when I was learning KB snatches, and walked around with huge raised purple welts on each forearm for a week or so before I got the technique down.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Wear 'em as the Badge of Honor that they are.... And circle 'em with a red sharpie...
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    "Accidentally" send an email to everyone which was meant for your boyfriend saying the following: I'm sorry honey, please don't spank me again.

And let the funny wash over you.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast