Thread: Question about Shoes and Tendons page

Wildrose is offline Senior Member

Question Question about Shoes and Tendons

Shop Now
    Hi everyone! I'm new to the Primal Blueprint, and feeling great about it! I suppose I'm more paleo since I started with Robb Wolfe's book, but as far as I can tell it's the same thing. Anywho! Let me start off with who I am.

I'm a mostly sedentary desk jockey, 34 years old, 297 pounds (was 355!) and feeling pretty darn good at the moment. However, I thought I would try walking barefoot. I actually took my shoes off and literally walked barefoot for half my walk, it was fun! However, not the wisest as I definitely spotted some glass on a second walk. Anyway, I tried to get some Vibrams but I can't wear them. I can't get them on. The guy at Atmosphere said I have high arches. As far as I can tell, it's bone and meat, not fat, so I doubt the shape of my foot will change. Can anyone recommend good substitutes? And are crocs an okay substitute? XD I'm a croc kinda gal. I have a dozen pairs, and sandals too!

Now to my next question... when I wake up in the morning, particularly after a walk, my heels hurt. It's actually the back of my foot, and my chiropractor says it's my achilles tendon. Last time I went there she said it was tight as a drum. I've been icing my feet after walks, and I think that helps. I also got a lacross ball to roll my legs on. Does anyone have any exercises I could do at my computer to keep it loose? I should add, the pain in the morning usually wears off after a while. I went to the chiropractor about it when it suddenly got pretty spectacular. (2 hr walk, hehe)

Owly is offline Senior Member
    You might look for a pair of VFF Sprints or Classics. They're open on the top--the Sprints have a strap, the Classics don't--and they might offer a little more room for your arches. You may find your feet change a lot as you lose more weight as well. A lot of women I know actually ended up in a smaller shoe size!

Doing some gentle achilles stretches should help. I like the Asian squat (Mark calls it a Grok squat) to loosen stuff up. I find doing a few per day helps a lot.

There are some achilles stretches here too. The simple toe flex one would work well as one to do at your desk during the day.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Thank you! SOme of those stretches were quite helpful. Unfortunately, if I try to squat without the machine at the gym my knees tell me they don't like it very loudly. XD Maybe someday!

rosegirl is offline Junior Member
    The warm and soft shoes may help your feet. I suggest you wearing the wear and light boots. These boots can give plenty warmth and comfort to your feet. You can visit the website. Then your foot will be better.
    Last edited by rosegirl; 09-22-2012 at 02:09 AM. Reason: better

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    Squats should not bother your knees. I have a bum knee and I can squat without pain. Try squatting with your weight in your heels (lift your toes to check) and sit back like you're trying to sit in a chair that is behind you. Start shallow and work your way further.

Vivo barefoot has some great shoes, too. I would start slowly, though. If you're used to heeled shoes, going suddenly barefoot will challenge the achilles. Work up to barefoot slowly. And stretch and ice after every walk.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm new to the Primal Blueprint, and feeling great about it! I suppose I'm more paleo since I started with Robb Wolfe's book, but as far as I can tell it's the same thing. Anywho! Let me start off with who I am.

I'm a mostly sedentary desk jockey, 34 years old, 297 pounds (was 355!) and feeling pretty darn good at the moment. However, I thought I would try walking barefoot. I actually took my shoes off and literally walked barefoot for half my walk, it was fun! However, not the wisest as I definitely spotted some glass on a second walk. Anyway, I tried to get some Vibrams but I can't wear them. I can't get them on. The guy at Atmosphere said I have high arches. As far as I can tell, it's bone and meat, not fat, so I doubt the shape of my foot will change. Can anyone recommend good substitutes? And are crocs an okay substitute? XD I'm a croc kinda gal. I have a dozen pairs, and sandals too!

Now to my next question... when I wake up in the morning, particularly after a walk, my heels hurt. It's actually the back of my foot, and my chiropractor says it's my achilles tendon. Last time I went there she said it was tight as a drum. I've been icing my feet after walks, and I think that helps. I also got a lacross ball to roll my legs on. Does anyone have any exercises I could do at my computer to keep it loose? I should add, the pain in the morning usually wears off after a while. I went to the chiropractor about it when it suddenly got pretty spectacular. (2 hr walk, hehe)
    Merrell makes some great minimalist shoes. I love my Barefoot Pace gloves for both walking and running. Zappos.com has free shipping and returns!

Ditch the Crocs. They could be behind your achilles pain.

Glad to hear you are feeling great!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

ciep is offline Senior Member
    I like Owly's stretch suggestions. Mark's "grok squat" and the "stair stretch" in Owly's link are all you need. Try doing them several times a day. And as long as you're on a staircase, do a few toe raises also (go nice and slow to get a decent achilles stretch on the way down).

As for footwear, I agree with you -- I dislike Five Fingers. I tried really hard to like them (the concept is awesome), but in the end they just aren't worth it to me. Nowadays you can get fantastic minimalist shoes in a more traditional design that work just as well, are easier to put on, and are more comfortable IMO. I wear the New Balance Trail Minimus, and have over over 500 miles on them so far. I also think the Inov-8 Bare-FX 210's are amazing (they came out more recently).
    Last edited by ciep; 09-22-2012 at 09:46 AM.

ATTAACK is offline Member
    The Merrells are good and you might also look into some New Balance Minimus shoes. There are lots of options out there. I'm a runner and run in a shoe with just a little cushioning, the Saucony Kinvara; it has a 4 mm drop from heel to forefoot. Having said all that, I wouldn't get to tied up on what shoe you have at this point. Just eat right and go for a walk. Try doing walk sprints every other mailbox too. Use a watch and time yourself between mailboxes and try to shave a few seconds off on your sprints. Have fun!