Thread: Stuck for a year. Will Primal pull me out of the mud? page

2tall is offline Member

Stuck for a year. Will Primal pull me out of the mud?

I've been stuck for a year.
    Same athletic ability.
    Same weight.
    Same muscle mass.
    Same fat.
    Around the same strength.

I've tried weight watchers, basic calorie counting, macro tweaking, refeeds, whatever. Never gained muscle, never lost fat. Tried 1800 calories, tried 3000 calories.

I'm 6'7, 245lbs and about 22% bodyfat, by the way.

Tried lots and lots of cardio (cycling + boxing.)
    Tried strength training (Starting Strength, doing Stronglifts now.)

I've also got IBS.

I just completed my third week of switching over to Primal.
    I'm currently eating 2500-2800 calories a day with the 15c/50f/35p macros in mind.

IBS symptoms have lowered dramatically since I started, which is good.
    Still haven't seen the scale move, or anything else. But it's just been three weeks.

My current exercise plan is:
    3 days of Stronglifts
    6 days of walking 2-3 miles
    1 day of cycling

So, here's hoping.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Short answer: yes, it can pull you out of the mud. But you may need to settle in to what works for you...
    I suspect that good strength training will do much. So will sprinting if you get that in 1/week or so. For me, though, one of the biggest roadblocks is getting enough sleep/not stressing. That's huge for weight loss.

2tall is offline Member
    Thanks.

I'm going to give Primal until the end of August to make a difference for me. If I can't measure a result (with a tape, calipers, or even scale) then... I don't know what. I've tried everything but very-low-calorie-diet, but meh to that.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Primal will likely help with the IBS which might help your body to absorb nutrients more properly. And then you should start to see changes. I didn't have any noticeable issues, but didn't lose for the first 3 weeks. It's been slow going, but I've lost ~15lbs since January. Good luck!

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    You don't sound to overweight for your height. How are you measuring your BF%? How old are you? How long did you give those other programs? You don't get sick or overweight overnight, you can't expect changes for the positive to occur any faster. Sometimes it takes longer to lose weight than to put it on. Also gaining strength and losing weight tend to be mutually exclusive. Not to say you can't do both at the same time. But most people fail at it. Pick one and focus on it. Preferably fix the IBS and any other digestive problems you may have, and I think you will find things start to fall in place. It did for me, I also have IBS, fructose malabsorption, and dairy intolerance.

2tall is offline Member
    With calipers. I've also used tape measure method, and even a scale. I'm 31. I usually give any given thing 45-60 days to do anything.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    As long as your expectations don't exceed reality. I think you will be surprised by what you can attain by a primal lifestyle. You don't sound overweight to me, so I really don't know why your trying to lose weight. I think if you focus on putting on muscle, you will get the results your looking for. There are 2 ways to drop your bodyfat %. You can lose weight and hope you lose more fat than muscle, or you can strength train and try putting on more muscle than fat. Its hard if not nearly impossible to do one without the other.

2tall is offline Member
    I'm about 25lbs overweight. That will put me at a healthy body fat % and get rid of the belly fat.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    I've also got IBS.
    Yeah, I think Primal is what you need.

If I were you I'd be quite strict on what foods you eat. As a start, you might use the Whole 30 rules:

Whole9 | Let us change your life. | Category Archive | Whole30

If you've got GI issues, I think you probably want to be 100% grain, legume, and dairy free just to be on the safe side.

I'd also suggest that you take some steps that would be likely help gut-healing, viz. take a good probiotic, eat some fermented foods, such as sauerkraut or beet kvass, regularly, and -- if you can -- drink a cup of home-made bone-broth as often as feasible and preferably every day.

If you're not getting significant improvements with a fairly strict Primal diet on its own, then I'd suggest looking into a gut-repair protocol. The solid copper-bottomed, widely-used and tested one seems to be the GAPS protocol:

Amazon.com: Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, Dyspraxia, A.D.D., Dyslexia, A.D.H.D., Depression, Schizophrenia (9780954852023): Natasha Campbell-McBride: Books

I don't think you need to count calories (or even think about that) -- or worry too much about your bodyfat percentage. Get that gut right and nourish yourself properly and the rest will probably follow naturally in time.

Also, good sleep in a properly darkened room is very important, too. Here's a good short piece on that:

Sleep, Sleep, Sleep! How artificial lighting and cortisol impact zzz’s

2tall is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the links. Looks like I've got some reading to do.