Thread: Hello...and advice please... page

willstutely is offline Junior Member

Hello...and advice please...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been a Primal fan since last November, but only really consistently followed a primal diet since my wife officially switched over (made it so with a wholesale pantry purge) a couple of months ago. In the in-between I was mostly primal, but allowed splurges and relapses a little too often. I was consuming around 150g of carbs a day, but eating lots of protein, lots of veggies (tons of brussels sprouts, broccoli, etc).

I started off around 230 lbs in November when I started to be mostly primal, and by the time my wife switched over I was down to 205. I've always prided myself in being athletic, and allowed that pride to blind me to how fat I was. For example, at 230 lbs I was able to keep up with my brothers in our occasional pull up contests, even setting the standard at 27 reps. I always looked muscular, with broad shoulders, broad chest, etc, but I have a layer of fat over everything that makes me look bulky, round, and...fat.

Switching to primal immediately showed results in having a more defined chin, the scale groaned less, and I felt more energy consistently throughout the day. I work in a factory (the irony of it all is that it's a corn-processing plant...yes, I make corn starch... and in other parts of the plant the evil High Fructose Corn Syrup is made... haha) and move around all day. I work a 12 hour shift, 3 days on 3 days off, so for 12 hours a day I'm going up and down stairs, tossing 50lbs bags (20-30 a day), walking, etc. The guys I work with are all fat, but they drink soda like water, eat chips, candy and other assorted crap all 12 hours in a desperate attempt to stay awake. Since becoming primal I've discovered I have the same energy level at the end of the day that I do at the beginning, and unless I didn't sleep well the night before I don't struggle to stay awake. Awesome.

What I'm doing now:

Loose primal workout (basically following Mark's weekly routine)
    My diet is primal, but I know I could probably be better. Apart from eating lots of meat, veggies, etc, I eat about a handful or so of almonds a day, a serving of dark chocolate each day I work (11g net carbs...87% chocolate), and since they've been in season I've been eating a ziploc sandwich bag full of cherries a day, or I'll eat a similar amount of strawberries. My breakfasts are usually 3 or 4 eggs with either bacon or sausage.

I don't drink soda. I don't drink juice. I don't eat regular candy. Once in a while we'll splurge and I'll get popcorn at a movie (twice since January), or we'll get burgers at a good local joint. I do consume dairy...usually in the form of an iced-coffe, or a swig here and there, or cheese on an omelet or something.

Anyway...why am I not melting fat? Too much chocolate? Too much fruit? Am I eating too much fat so that my body isn't burning its own reserves?

Thanks!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willstutely View Post
    Anyway...why am I not melting fat? Too much chocolate? Too much fruit? Am I eating too much fat so that my body isn't burning its own reserves?

Thanks!
    Your weight change has been similar to my own. I think that the answer is possibly yes to all of the above. Additionally, you might be turning fat into muscle tissue. So healthy change, but no change on the scale.

I think you should switch from a weight based perspective to a body fat % perspective.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

You're right about perspective. I've never actually tested myself for body fat %. I've just been going off what I can see/feel up till now.

Calipers the best poor man's method?

I really enjoy fruit and chocolate... I guess I could cut back a bit, although I've gotten used to snacking on those things rather than my old mainstay of chips. I think of all the SAD foods chips...any chip but tortilla especially... are what I actually miss. Nothing like chips and a good fresh salsa.

I'd rather live last fifty though.

grokling is offline Junior Member
    Hi just read your thread, i have beem primal for about 5 weeks now and your story really struck a chord with me the way i am feeling right now fat and disappointed why ? well when i first started primal in the first few weeks i started to see some awesome changes (because i have always done weight training ) i could see straight away i was leaning out and i was definately shaping up, as you can imagine i fell in love with this primal stuff and tasty food to boot too, so anyways, wanting to take it on wholeheartedly foolishly i started adding butter to my veg cream to my coffee making home made whipped cream deserts with berries and cherries cos no carbs right, fats ok NO !!!!this is the mistake i have read alot of people are making if you are trying to lose weight (which pretty much all of us are ) then less fats and less fruits (how foolish do i feel ) you would think it was pretty obvious. well starting again tomorrow onwards and upwards eh !!.

You're right about perspective. I've never actually tested myself for body fat %. I've just been going off what I can see/feel up till now.

Calipers the best poor man's method?
    Can the poor man afford a tape measure?

I really enjoy fruit and chocolate... I guess I could cut back a bit, although I've gotten used to snacking on those things rather than my old mainstay of chips. I think of all the SAD foods chips...any chip but tortilla especially... are what I actually miss. Nothing like chips and a good fresh salsa.

I'd rather live last fifty though.
    Well, I still enjoy fruit and chocolate. Just as a dessert and not all the time.

Have you tried IF?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.

Haven't tried IF yet. I'll give that a shot. Have you had success with it?

After being primal for about 6 months I had fallen fairly naturally into skipping lunch on a workday without doing it intentionally (basically, i used to buy my lunch, making primal lunches were a hassle, and I wasn't feeling hungry at lunch time anyway). So it was the path of least resistance rather than intentional.

When Mark had a series of posts on the benefits of fasting (just google "MDA fasting" to see the series) I decided to give it a try skipping breakfast as well. I guess I'm 'fat adapted' because although I become aware of a mild nagging hunger at about 4pm, it's not debilitating in the way that low blood sugar hunger is when I was pre-primal.

I do eat bigger dinners now, although my stomach is shrunk from being empty all day, so there's a limit as to how much you can eat in one sitting. I generally eat until my stomach is full, which is a little more than I used to eat as my dinner meal (plus, dessert every night! ). I've only been doing it for a little over 3 weeks, and I don't measure myself routinely. So I don't know what the day to day effects are. I'm experimenting with IF primarily because of the alleged anti-oxidation effects.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 08-05-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Are you walking/biking/something often? And sprinting 1/week or so, and/or other HIIT exercises? These can do a LOT to help the melt.

IF can help too, it's gotten me out of a rut or two.

As I mentioned my job has me very active, but besides that I am sprinting 1 day a week and LHT a couple days a week. Plus I play racquetball a coupe of times a month.

I can definitely go longer without eating and I certainly don't have massive carb crashes anymore. I'll read Mark's stuff on IF again and give it a shot.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    If nothing else seems to work, try tracking for a couple weeks to see where your macros and calories are coming in. Could also try a Whole30 type eating plan for a month...see how Primal you really are!