Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everything I've done is wrong page

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member

Everything I've done is wrong

Shop Now
    Here is my current tale of how everything I've done up to now has been wrong and how I hope to change it around!

Over the last 10 years I've eaten about 1200 or less calories a day. At first I did lose weight. I got down to my lowest ever of 128 lbs, I would eat about 1500 calories a day of a "healthy" SAD diet, but without eating more and keeping up with my same activity's I was gaining weight. So I followed most diet books and cut my calories to 1200 and I worked out more, and it didn't work. My weight slowly over these last 10 years has been going up and I couldn't stop it. Seriously, I've done everything.

I've got into running, cycling, walking very far distances everyday, barefoot running, lifting heavy weights. My last experiment these last 6 months has been intermittent fasting, and I'm now the heaviest I've ever been, its been a complete failure. During the days I've fasted I might eat about 600-800 calories a day. It wasn't working so I would push to see how many days I could do it, still no positive results.

I've done everything wrong. I really wanted to be succeeding in weight loss by now, I've been primal for almost 2 years. Initially I lost 8 lbs when i first went primal, but then I bounced back to my old weight. When I tried fasting and I gained another 10 lbs.

I"m finally deciding to throw my whole calories count mantra out the window. When I listened to Matt Stone on the Real Food Summit a few weeks ago I felt like he just explained my struggle over the last 10 years so well.

I heard Matt Stone say (I'm paraphrasing since it was awhile ago when I heard this), "instead of cutting out the foods you can't eat, and only allotting yourself a certain number of calories. Instead you should try to eat as much healthy food as you can. Trying to cut calories almost always sets you up to failure."

Those words hit me so hard. Screw the eat less mentality! It hasn't helped me at all! I'm now forcing myself to eat 3 meals a day again, even if I'm not hungry.

I've been doing this for a few weeks so far and its been AMAZING. Here's whats happened:

My weight has stopped drastically fluctuating, on any given day my weight could be 5lbs up or down. Now I hop on the scale its always near the same number.

before I was a very cold person before, literally. My waking body temp would be in the low 97's and this is in the summer during a heatwave. I thought I might be hypothyroid, but my blood test proved negative. Today I woke up took my temperature and it was 98.4!

Yesterday I ate 2,200 calories, a little more than my now usual 1,600-1,900 but I did do some lawn work. I woke up today and hopped on the scale, 1lbs lost!

I feel pretty awesome, and I think this is how eating primal should be. I'll never try IF again, and I'll never eat 1200 calories or under again. I write this for all the women out there who are like me and think they are doing everything right, eating clean and eating very very little, counting every calorie, and nothing is working. Stop banging your head against the wall, and go eat nourishing food. It took me 10 years to figure this out. Lets see what the future holds for me. I'm 5'9, soon to be 30 and my goal is to get down to 140 lbs.
    Last edited by lizzychan5; 08-05-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Fucking sad it took you 10 years to realize what you're doing isn't working for you
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

i don't think you get how strong the whole "eat less, exercise more" mentality is. There's a giant thread in the nutrition section where if eating less is not working for you, you must be not counting your calories right.

and thanks for replying to my fist journal entry with such a nice tone.
    Last edited by lizzychan5; 08-05-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzychan5 View Post
    i don't think you get how strong the whole "eat less, exercise more" mentality is. There's a giant thread in the nutrition section where if eating less is not working for you, you must be not counting your calories right.

and thanks for replying to my fist journal entry with such a nice tone.
    Just let people say what they want, some people just talk like that, let 'em talk. but I get what you're saying. Though I've never been in your situation. Have you read chocotaco's thread about calories? Or is that the thread you're talking about? Because in that thread a lot of people are also talking about eating TOO LITTLE and not losing weight because of that. Check it out
    Billie trips balls

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    I don't count calories either.
    I used to some time ago, and lost plenty of weight, but I felt weak.
    These days I go with the mindset of eating nutritious, unprocessed foods when I'm hungry.
    When I occasionally overdo it, I always end up burning it off with exercise and other activities, and the extra food results in more intense workouts.
    My weight has stayed steady too. Seems to work well for me.
    My choices seem to be; Restrict calories, feel weak, have sub-par workouts, maintain my weight.
    Eat healthy and well, feel strong, kick my workout's ass, maintain my weight.
    I don't weigh myself anymore either. I go by how I look and feel, and how my clothes fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Just let people say what they want, some people just talk like that, let 'em talk. but I get what you're saying. Though I've never been in your situation. Have you read chocotaco's thread about calories? Or is that the thread you're talking about? Because in that thread a lot of people are also talking about eating TOO LITTLE and not losing weight because of that. Check it out
    thanks. I was mentioning his thread, I haven't read through all of it. Its kinda why I wanted to write my story, because I saw some women on there who were just eating 1000 calories and not losing weight and being depressed about it. That was me in a nutshell for so long.
    Last edited by lizzychan5; 08-05-2012 at 08:56 PM.

thanks. I was mentioning his thread, thought I haven't read through all of it. Its kinda why I wanted to write my story, because I saw some women on there who were just eating 1000 calories and not losing weight and being depressed about it. That was me in a nutshell for so long.
    Some advice I have seen on that thread is to not weigh yourself for a year, not IF, and never let yourself go hungry to regain your metabolism.
    Billie trips balls

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry you felt the need to delete your post because of nasty comments. I've certainly been doing the "wrong things" for the vast majority of my life (which is why I'm overweight today). I think it's always good to read stories of people who have also been doing it wrong, but have finally figured out WHY it was wrong! Of course if you're never taught otherwise you're going to believe that you need to restrict calories to lose weight (and you DO to a certain extent, but probably not as much as you think if you eat the right foods). Again, following what we're all taught in school, and what the government teaches etc. you're also going to believe that if you eat a diet full of whole grains and low in fats you're also going to lose weight. And not knowing anything else, you KEEP DOING IT because you think you're just not doing it well enough or otherwise you'd have lost the weight!!

thanks I'm going to put my story back, I'm re typing it though (make it a little shorter). I was just really taken really aback by the first post.

thanks I'm going to put my story back, I'm re typing it though (make it a little shorter). I was just really taken really aback by the first post.
    Welcome to the internet. (not meant harsh)
    Billie trips balls

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast