Thread: Interesting Supplement Article - Thoughts? page

onawave is offline Junior Member

Question Interesting Supplement Article - Thoughts?

Im not sure if any of you listen to Robb Wolf's podcast, but quite often he has had on John Welbourne who from all accounts is a beast. John does programming for Crossfit Football which is mostly strength biased instead of a lot of beatdowns like crossfit. Check out his blog here: Talk To Me Johnnie | It's A Long Road

I read it quite often, and recently he did an article on supp recommendations: Supplement Recommendations

Most of that article makes sense to me except for one part:

Tom has two other products I swear by: Renew Male and Joint Performance.

The Renew Male sounds like some cheesy late night infomercial supplement but that is not the case. The product improves the pathways in the brain and the testes to increase testosterone and lower cortisol. Cortisol is a stress hormone that even elevated is responsible for poor testosterone levels, body fat and poor performance.

Joint Performance works by inhibiting inflammatory cytokines and enzymes that break down cartilage. It contains the best form of glucosamine (glucosamine sulfate) and provides the ideal molecular weight of chondroitin sulfate to provide max absorption, hyaluronic acid, which increases lubrication in joints and reduction of inflammation.

Renew Male? Wtf? This is a testosterone thing from what i can understand, and the website looks uber dodgy. However I respect John and his programming and his knowledge. Home | RenewMale

Has anyone heard of this supplement? The website is pretty lean on what is actually contained in the supp etc. Reason why im asking, is that im a Crossfitter who has a bias towards strength conditioning with my coaches, and im on the wrong side of 35, and looking to basically be the best version of myself. I eat a very clean paleo lifestyle so diet is not really a problem.

Thanks all!

Oaw

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    I am not sure how it purports to lower the cortisol, it is just an assertion.

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onawave View Post
    Im not sure if any of you listen to Robb Wolf's podcast, but quite often he has had on John Welbourne who from all accounts is a beast. John does programming for Crossfit Football which is mostly strength biased instead of a lot of beatdowns like crossfit. Check out his blog here: Talk To Me Johnnie | It's A Long Road

I read it quite often, and recently he did an article on supp recommendations: Supplement Recommendations

Most of that article makes sense to me except for one part:

Tom has two other products I swear by: Renew Male and Joint Performance.

The Renew Male sounds like some cheesy late night infomercial supplement but that is not the case. The product improves the pathways in the brain and the testes to increase testosterone and lower cortisol. Cortisol is a stress hormone that even elevated is responsible for poor testosterone levels, body fat and poor performance.
    The norvaline is used to block the breakdown of arginine. Arginine in turn can increase nitric oxide that helps a man get and maintain an erection. Drawback is that arginine also promotes herpes outbreaks in those prone to herpes. There is also avena sativa, which is wild oats that is calming and supports the nervous system. It is believed to help desire. There are some adaptogens to support the adrenals. And they added tribulus terrestris to increase testosterone production.

What I don't see is any aromatase inhibitors. Aromatase is the enzyme that breaks down testosterone in to estrogen. What good is it to raise testosterone with tribulus if it is just going to be converted in to estrogen if the person has excess aromatase activity? They should track down whoever they paid to design that formal and get a refund!

Joint Performance works by inhibiting inflammatory cytokines and enzymes that break down cartilage. It contains the best form of glucosamine (glucosamine sulfate) and provides the ideal molecular weight of chondroitin sulfate to provide max absorption, hyaluronic acid, which increases lubrication in joints and reduction of inflammation.

Glucosamine works but takes at least 4 months to even start seeing results and in my opinion chondroitin is garbage. I posted an explanation here:

Herbs for Gout

Hyaluronic acid is great stuff but I can about guarantee that the amount the put in their product is not enough to do much of anything. Why? Last time a checked a few years ago hyaluronic acid was somewhere around $5,000-6,000/kg from the raw material suppliers. Generally when there is a product where one of the ingredients is excessively expensive it is put in the product in tiny amounts just so it can be put on the label for name recognition. In the industry this practice is called "fairy dusting".
    Last edited by JamesS; 08-10-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Very interesting indeed.

So if im really looking for a testosterone "boost" this isnt really the product to do it, and from the reading around - no product really does that. Ie, tribulus looks like a sham (havent seen any proof that it actually does what it claims to do)

So to re-cap, stay to strick paleo, eat good quality red meat and lift some heavy shit to increase testosterone?

Very interesting indeed.

So if im really looking for a testosterone "boost" this isnt really the product to do it, and from the reading around - no product really does that. Ie, tribulus looks like a sham (havent seen any proof that it actually does what it claims to do)

So to re-cap, stay to strick paleo, eat good quality red meat and lift some heavy shit to increase testosterone?
    Studies are mixed on Tribulus species. For example in this rat study T. alatus was shown to increase testosterone:

Free serum testosterone level in mal... [Int Braz J Urol. 2007 Jul-Aug] - PubMed - NCBI

And it appears the same in these studies for T. Terrestris:

Effect of Tribulus terrestris on nicotinami... [J Ethnopharmacol. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI

The hormonal effects of Tribulus terrestris an... [Phytomedicine. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

Evaluation of the aphrodisiac activ... [J Pharmacol Pharmacother. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Although this study claims just the opposite:

Effects of Tribulus terrestris on endocrine... [J Ethnopharmacol. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

As for human studies this showed an increase in testosterone in the first 10 days despite the low dose.:

The influence of the Tribulus terrestris extract o... [Fiziol Zh. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

On the other hand there is this study also with low dose tribulus that found no change:

The aphrodisiac herb Tribulus terrestris do... [J Ethnopharmacol. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI

Who knows, maybe if they used proper dosing they could get more consistent results

The other option would be to go with aromatase inhibitors to block the conversion of the testosterone in to estrogen.

As for red meat it has been shown to raise testosterone but at the same time red meats can contain significant amounts of estrogen and progesterone from the animals own body. Therefore, I personally would not rely on red meat as a means to increase testosterone.

Ok, so re-cap on my re-cap.

Tribulus - I should just "try" and see how I go. Thanks for the links there, very very helpful in comparison to the normal google searches I do. Note to self, should really try the pub med search in future.

Back onto the Tribulus stuff however. For a testosterone boost and performance recovery it seems there is only one way to get my head around it, and thats to try it?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok, so re-cap on my re-cap.

Tribulus - I should just "try" and see how I go. Thanks for the links there, very very helpful in comparison to the normal google searches I do. Note to self, should really try the pub med search in future.

Back onto the Tribulus stuff however. For a testosterone boost and performance recovery it seems there is only one way to get my head around it, and thats to try it?
    Yes, but again I would not rely on Tribulus alone. I would combine it with aromatase inhibitors such as nettle root and zinc. It would not make much sense to try and increase testosterone if it is simply going to get converted in to estrogen if there is aromatase over activity. Even if there is no aromatase over activity the aromatase inhibitors will still help maintain testosterone levels.