Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question.. page

livefit2012 is offline Junior Member

Quick question..

Primal Fuel
    Ive been eating Primal for about 2 weeks now and the 1st week i lost 6lbs, but gained almost all of it back the 2nd week. Any ideas why? Ive been eating nothing but primal foods and with the only exception being a few diet sodas. I feel my stomach has slimmed some. Just curious about the drop and gain.

Bron is offline Senior Member
    I'd say that exception is the reason

Lewis is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by livefit2012 View Post
    ... Ive been eating nothing but primal foods ...
    I don't think there's enough information there to be able to say. "Primal foods" could cover an awful lot of things.

A lot of initial weight loss is water, so if you happened to drift back somewhat to foods that caused you to retain more water, you'd gain that weight back again.

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    1. You didn't lose 6 pounds of fat the first week and you didn't gain 6 pounds of fat in the second week. Chalk a lot of that weight up to water weight and natural fluctuations.

2. You can lose weight eating primal foods or gain weight eating primal foods; it still comes down to how many calories you eat. To get some advice on how well your meal plan will work for weight loss you have to give a detailed example of what you eat each day and some info on your daily calorie requirements (gender, height, current weight, activity level, etc).

3. Two weeks is awfully quick to be analyzing results of a new eating plan. These things take some time.

Lewis is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgreenwood View Post
    ... comes down to how many calories you eat. ...
    Although Kekwick and Pawan at the Middlesex Hospital back in the 1950s (sic) found that patients who gained weight on a 2000 kcal "mixed" diet, lost weight on a 2400 kcal low-carb, high-fat diet, which indicates that it does not.

Not that scientific evidence should be allowed to get in the way of anything as firmly socially entrenched as the "calories in, calories out" dogma ...

A calorie is a calorie | Meemsy.com

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Although Kekwick and Pawan at the Middlesex Hospital back in the 1950s (sic) found that patients who gained weight on a 2000 kcal "mixed" diet, lost weight on a 2400 kcal low-carb, high-fat diet, which indicates that it does not.

Not that scientific evidence should be allowed to get in the way of anything as firmly socially entrenched as the "calories in, calories out" dogma ...

A calorie is a calorie | Meemsy.com

LOL
    Nowhere in my post did I compare different types of diets. I said you can gain weight eating primally or lose weight eating primally, depending on how many calories you eat. Try to find a scientific study that contradicts that.

denise is offline Senior Member
    just one question, why does every single thread I read on here descend within a few postings into the same old calories etc etc (yawn) argument.

Please, don't bother to answer.

It seems kinda weird to complain about calories being brought up in a thread about weight loss.

denise is offline Senior Member
    I did not make myself clear. I apologise. I do not have any problem with the inevitable fact that CICO becomes part of the discussion... it's the tone, the "argument". I stop visiting threads, not because I don't want information, I just dread the .... unpleasant, tit-for-tat stuff.

I bow out of this one gracefully - go for it guys

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That makes sense and i should have understood your point from your original message. I guess I was a little defensive because I was trying to help and inadvertently posted a comment too close to a hot topic. i didn't anticipate a problem when I said that calories matter when trying to lose weight. I understand the people who disagree on the "A calorie is a calorie" issue but I wasn't comparing calories; I just stated that too many calories will prevent weight loss.

Arguing on the internet is something I try to avoid but accidentally stumbled into this one.
    Last edited by dgreenwood; 08-06-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast