Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Durian rider is pretty douchey, but page 2

joe2.0 is offline Member
    Shop Now
    I had not heard of him before. Straight up lunatic that one.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Lots of ex-vegans on here, their stories are interesting. It seems that some people can be healthy that way, and those people become evangelists for the cause. What I notice is that they are almost all under 30, in other words the age at which most bodies can appear to thrive on just about anything. I personally have no interest in it and no reason to believe that I'd be healthy doing it. My sister was wildly unhealthy as just a regular vegetarian until she started adding in occasional meats.
    Wild salmon tonight!
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

I have a lot of raw vegan "gurus" on my youtube. There are some great veggie heavy recipes. I love veggies.

Durian insults everyone, even other raw vegans. There are more intelligent arguments *against* him than his arguments against others. He's specifically a fruitarian. I wouldn't doubt that non-fruitarian raw vegans could lead a decently long life if they paid attention to their dietary needs. Just as one could lead a fairly old life on SAD. I just never felt it was *optimal* eating. Living longer does not seem worth it if I am to suffer chronic pain and health complications for a hefty chunk of my life.

I'm not a nutritional expert, but 80/10/10 seems extremist and I'm curious to see failing health of individuals on it past 30, who have been on the diet for a substantial length of time. Durian's girlfriend/friend(rawfitbitch) suffered from an eating disorder in the past and I wonder if this contributed to her and other folks turning to this diet.

Also keep in mind that Durian is not a doctor or anything. He's an opinionated man with a webcam. A lot of people fall for gurus completely because of adoration and bandwagon mentality. Mark Sisson isn't a doctor either, but that's why you have to look at their sources of information.

Primal just makes sense to me. Frutarianism does not.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    I ate a raw vegan diet for about a year (was vegetarian/vegan for 12 years total). And then my hair started falling out and my toenails cracked and fell off. Oh, and I am not by any means a naturally thin person. So that is how I ended up finding paleo, I liked having hair and toenails. Really, eating raw vegan is tough. It seems like you have to be ALWAYS eating to not be hungry. Obviously I don't agree that it's a long-term healthy way to eat, and I think nearly all of the extreme advocates of it are total crackpots. Really, there are only two good things I can say about it. 1) I always had a super energetic, almost buzzed feeling while eating raw. Not natural at all, but I felt crazy energetic, almost like I was on a stimulant or something. 2) I am really glad I did that because it makes the concept of not eating certain foods to be paleo like no big deal. I mean, I got to add a lot of food back in switching from low fat raw vegan to paleo.
    I went from being vegetarian to vegan, then for a brief while experimented with fully raw vegan. What I found was that it did give me loads of energy, was a great detox & initially,for the 1st several years, it seemed like it was the best thing ever. Looking back on those times, it was what I describe as all treble, but with little midrange & almost no bass.

Towards the end, I was always hungry (for fat, calories & of course quality protein). I became run down, sallow, thin & unhappy. Due to my stubborness, I remained this way for several years, even though some of my Macrobiotic teachers were telling me to eat fatty fish. Funny thing, it wasn't til I got to India in 1998, on my 1st trip there, a long visit of almost 6 months, that I STOPPED being vegan & vegetarian & regained my vigor. I was already eating loads of coconuts & food cooked in coconut oil locally made & fresh(Kerala, South India). But once I was offered & induced to eat goat yogurt daily, I felt a little better. Then the eggs from the chickens of the family I was living with, again I felt incrementally better than on the goat yogurt. Then my adopted India mother, Leela, said I was ready for local sardines & other seafood, fresh caught every morning. Once I was eating all those 3 animal foods, combined with cutting out white rice & replacing it with brown millet, I gained weight again (muscle), regained my former high endurance & stamina, got back my chipper & optimistic attitude & I was converted away from the vegan philosophy by the obviousness of my expereinces! Unlike most people who return from a long trip in India, I was healthier upon my return to the USA than I was before the trip. I've been eating animals & eggs & milk products since then...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Paleobird Guest
    There are actually quite a few "recovering vegetarians/vegans" around this board. I went veg for a year back in college. It seemed like I would just get over one cold or flu and then get the next one.

Not going back there ever again.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuineaPigQueen View Post
    I have a lot of raw vegan "gurus" on my youtube. There are some great veggie heavy recipes. I love veggies.

Durian insults everyone, even other raw vegans. There are more intelligent arguments *against* him than his arguments against others. He's specifically a fruitarian. I wouldn't doubt that non-fruitarian raw vegans could lead a decently long life if they paid attention to their dietary needs. Just as one could lead a fairly old life on SAD. I just never felt it was *optimal* eating. Living longer does not seem worth it if I am to suffer chronic pain and health complications for a hefty chunk of my life.

I'm not a nutritional expert, but 80/10/10 seems extremist and I'm curious to see failing health of individuals on it past 30, who have been on the diet for a substantial length of time. Durian's girlfriend/friend(rawfitbitch) suffered from an eating disorder in the past and I wonder if this contributed to her and other folks turning to this diet.

Also keep in mind that Durian is not a doctor or anything. He's an opinionated man with a webcam. A lot of people fall for gurus completely because of adoration and bandwagon mentality. Mark Sisson isn't a doctor either, but that's why you have to look at their sources of information.

Primal just makes sense to me. Frutarianism does not.
    And Dr.s are usually a horrible source of lifelstyle advice and are actually horribly or non educated in it (MD's I mean). Sorry, but you make it sound as if they get a free pass. Next time your MD prescribes a med ask for some references and prepare to be amazed with the lack there of.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    What I found was that it did give me loads of energy, was a great detox & initially,for the 1st several years, it seemed like it was the best thing ever. Looking back on those times, it was what I describe as all treble, but with little midrange & almost no bass.
    I couldn't have said it better, what a great way to describe it! Isn't it weird, that almost high feeling you get eating all raw?

Your trip to India sounds like it was amazing. I was in New Delhi for a short while and ended up having a downright awful time there. Though I think it's harder for girls to travel by themselves in India. I must admit though, seeing the Taj Mahal was a high point, stunning!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Offhand, the only veggies I can think of that I like raw are mushrooms, avocados, and tomatoes. And two of those are technically fruits. Don't think the whole raw thing would work for me. Raw fish otoh is yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    And Dr.s are usually a horrible source of lifelstyle advice and are actually horribly or non educated in it (MD's I mean). Sorry, but you make it sound as if they get a free pass. Next time your MD prescribes a med ask for some references and prepare to be amazed with the lack there of.
    Usually a doctor would have more credibility than a random guy off the internet, but I can agree that there are not so great doctors in existence.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuineaPigQueen View Post
    Usually a doctor would have more credibility than a random guy off the internet, but I can agree that there are not so great doctors in existence.
    lol...like I said make sure to check that "usual doctor". Just had one in my own town go to jail for life on charges.....good ole narcotics.

Actually I could point you to 3 guys on the internet without MD's that I recommend over 90% of MD's you will find in your home town for good health information. Care to take the challenge?

You ask your fella what to do about your diabetes II, hypertension, or high cholestorol. Take that advice and pocket it.

Now I'll take MY TOP THREE and follow their advice.

Who lives longer? Funny thing is that there is actual evidence to say I WILL! Game set match! Peace out.

Want the proof? Ask that MD of yours to show you the proof that their drugs will improve or increase your life.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-04-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast