Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I might need some help from you guys page

Pincuid is offline Junior Member

Unhappy I might need some help from you guys

Primal Fuel
    Hey,

I'm a newbie by username, but believe me, I've been lurking around the forum for a while, reading up on everything I could, looking at success stories and thinking that'll be me in a year, oh... you know...the usual things you go through as an aspiring healthy person.

I gave primal a go ever since last summer, a bit on and off at first and did manage to lose a bit of weight, about 5 lbs and then I went almost full primal the only exception being a few beers once in a while. That didn't help with the weight loss that much but I just thought that it might be because I'm female and I generally shed weight very slowly, buuuut I did feel much much better in other ways - less bloated, happier, lighter and generally enjoyed life more.

I truly believe that primal is the healthiest lifestyle, it makes complete sense and I want to make it work for me. God this sounds cheesy but I really want to be one of those success stories but my stupid brain won't let me. It might be low self esteem, a big tendency to procrastinate, stress about work and lack of money (as a fresh university graduate, life isn't all that rosey hehe)...I don't know, but I've fallen off the wagon and started eating comfort foods again and I can see myself slowly going back to how things were before, and I really really don't want to. I can see myself getting lazier and less excited about life, less inclined to believe that I'll ever lose weight.

I know this might sound pathetic, or just like the other millions of overweight people out there who say they want to lose the weight, start crying and then dive into a pepperoni pizza for comfort. I know! I see them on TV and think, oh come on, that's now what you should be doing...but as we speak I have a bag of chocolate raisins sitting on the table and that stupid voice in your head that says..."Hey...they're just chocolate raisins man, they don't really count, you'll get back on track tomorrow".

What I'm trying to say is I could use some support, and believe me I'm usually the last one to ask for help since I've been brought up believing that I can and should try to sort everything out for myself...but I think I've reached a point where that isn't working out for me anymore and instead of sulking in self pity I chose to come here asking for help/support/tips/random grunts/whatever

Thanks for reading the rant

P.S. Promise won't touch the chocolate raisins

SCruz Carter is offline Member
    Pincuid-

You gotta just commit. I know, its hard and so easy to fall off, but when you want it bad enough it will happen. I keep watching friends attempt it and then fall off the wagon and then complain about lack of success (I know you aren't complaining but thats what my friends do). Go 1 day or one week at a time and build on it. Cook a bunch of primal stuff sunday so you have stuff for work and snacks and do a pantry cleanse (maybe dont throw it out if you dont want, but put it in a tub in the garage at least). Success is what you define it to be so pick your goal and go! Healthy living alone is a great goal.
    Male 37 Years Old
    210 LBs - 5/14/12 - SW
    180 LBs- 8/15/12 - CW
    ??? LBs- GW
    36"- Starting pant size
    32" - Current Pant size

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCruz Carter View Post
    Pincuid-

You gotta just commit.
    start by chucking the chocolate raisins. if it's not in the house, you can't eat it.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    If it were me, I would get to the supermarket and get some primal foods into the house.
    Also, I would get rid of the garbage food. Donate it, throw it out, whatever.
    The garage is too close.
    You have to make a stand, and get into the mindset of taking care of yourself because you're worth the effort.
    Buy the Primal blueprint, start talking with people on here, and buy into it, big time.
    Make healthy living your main goal in life at this time, and get it into your head that nothing is more important, because, frankly, nothing is.
    If you slip up, so what. Getting knocked down doesn't mean shit if you get yourself up again.
    Make the commitment.
    You have nothing to lose, except weight, and a new and better life to gain.
    Lots of people have been where you're at, and have turned it around. You can too.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    start by chucking the chocolate raisins. if it's not in the house, you can't eat it.

^this

Once I made the decision, I cleaned the house of everything that did not fit into "primal." Since January I have lost 22 pounds, and look very different to say the least, and feel so much better. If you really want it you will commit and work through the two or three first weeks of getting rid of sugar cravings. If I can do it, then you can do it.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hey Pincuid!

I am doing it slowly. I make a specific goal, and once I am ready to commit, then I am there. And when I am comfortable that my last goal has become a new habit, it is time to add another one. The length of time between goals is varied. Some changes are easier than others, and some are harder... so I just do them when I am ready, which is really all that counts - because you are the only one who can walk this walk for yourself.

I suggest you start a journal on the journal section of this forum. I finally started writing one, and believe me, folks will appear out of the photonic ether that is is this forum and respond. I will, too, if you start one. There, we can hear in all the gory details what you are currently struggling with - and succeeding with. The folks here operate best when given specifics.

I know you can do this! All change is hard and intimidating. And you don't have to do this alone - we all support each other here.

That is my strategy - decide what one or two SPECIFIC goals you want to work on first. For example: 100% Primal breakfasts; or no more grains (or perhaps going gluten-free as a between step); or no more added sugar; or getting the Frankenfats/seed oils out of the diet; or ditching soy... The Primal is so the antithesis of the SAD it is overwhelming - but you already know its worth.

Good luck, and please let us know!

RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    I so completely know where you're coming from. LIke Noodletoy said, get rid of the raisins. Give them away, throw them away, whatever, just get rid of them.

I have conversations in my head ALL of the time about waht I can eat or not eat. I am a complete carb addict. Going primal has been both difficult and a revelation. I've also lost 50 pounds since the beginning of February...well 48 pounds actually after the sandwhich I had yesterday and the potato chips from Trader Joe's this morning. Never go to the grocery store before breakfast.

I was looking at blueberry scones at the store this morning and thinking, "they're small, I could eat those." NO!!! Back away from the pastry.

Seriously, I have this type of conversation with myself all the time. All the freaking time. I lost the battle with the potato chips, but didn't bring the scones home, so it was a 50/50 split.

You have to worry about today. Yesterday is over, done and gone. Don't worry about what you did yesterday. Tomorrow isn't here yet. Don't worry about what you're going to do tomorrow. Today, right now, all you need to do is get rid of the chocolate covered raisins. Don't beat yourself up. Make a cup of tea or coffee and relax take a deep breath.

Backsliding into SAD food isn't the end of the world. We've all done it. Part of changing your lifestyle is learning what your triggers are and learning how to handle those triggers. Just view all of this as as learning experience for your own personal N=1 experiment, log the results and keep on going.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Pincuid is offline Junior Member
    I knew writing the post would be a good idea thanks to everyone for the encouraging posts, I had already got rid of the raisins while I was writing the post and just had a few strawberries instead. I guess seeing something written down makes it clearer, so as Crabbcakes said, it really makes sense to start a journal now. Prepare to hear a lot of crazy coming out in the first weeks haha.

And the thing is, when I was 90/10 primal I felt so amazing and I don't know how I just let myself slip like that, it's ridiculous. But no more! Two months ago I was at that point where I would completely skip 3 aisles from the supermarket and just go to the fruit/veg and meat section and be completely ok, and I can get there again. The tempting song of the pastry aisle will lure me in no more (RobinNM I know where you're coming from with the scones, how can something so little be so evil?).

Thank you thank you all for being so nice and supportive, I really have to get it into my head that it's not a sign of weakness if you ask for a little help once in a while

RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pincuid View Post
    I knew writing the post would be a good idea thanks to everyone for the encouraging posts, I had already got rid of the raisins while I was writing the post and just had a few strawberries instead. I guess seeing something written down makes it clearer, so as Crabbcakes said, it really makes sense to start a journal now. Prepare to hear a lot of crazy coming out in the first weeks haha.

And the thing is, when I was 90/10 primal I felt so amazing and I don't know how I just let myself slip like that, it's ridiculous. But no more! Two months ago I was at that point where I would completely skip 3 aisles from the supermarket and just go to the fruit/veg and meat section and be completely ok, and I can get there again. The tempting song of the pastry aisle will lure me in no more (RobinNM I know where you're coming from with the scones, how can something so little be so evil?).

Thank you thank you all for being so nice and supportive, I really have to get it into my head that it's not a sign of weakness if you ask for a little help once in a while
    It doesn't help when those SOB's at Trader Joe's put the pastry RIGHT F'ING NEXT to the produce aisle. Rat bastards.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinNM View Post
    It doesn't help when those SOB's at Trader Joe's put the pastry RIGHT F'ING NEXT to the produce aisle. Rat bastards.
    L M A O - thanks for the laughs before bedtime!!

(I have never seen Trader Joe's, but I wanna', and plan to make an extra pilgrimage to Cleveland soon for it. But I know what you mean from other grocery stores! At a local store, they literally make you walk through a gauntlet of soda, chips, and the current holiday bags of candy (Fourth of July M&M's anyone?!?!) before you are allowed to choose between wine and a Carolina BBQ store attached to the grocery, and THEN get to go up and down the aisles... the produce section is AAALLLLLLL the way on the other side. Good thing I only go to that particular store for emergency items...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast