Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dietary Cholesterol page

Artbuc is offline Senior Member

Dietary Cholesterol

Primal Fuel
    Oh-oh. I have been disregarding my doctor's strong advice to take statins for decades. For the last couple months I have been happily eating 1-2 pastured eggs per day and putting Kerrygold butter on my veggies. Now I read this:

Dietary cholesterol and egg yolks: Not for patients at risk of vascular disease

I wish someone knew the truth about dietary cholesterol!!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Are you at risk of becoming a diabetic? Because that seems like the key takeaway to me. Otherwise it seems like there's not a problem for healthy people to eat eggs.

Edit: The other thing I get from the article is the anti-oxidative benefits of IF.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 08-04-2012 at 03:30 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

zebonaut is offline Senior Member
    I can't believe I found this idiocy:

"This concern is based on the careful and independent conclusions of Ancel Keys and Mike Hegsted, who formulated our two most commonly used equations (44,45) relating dietary saturated and polyunsaturated fat and cholesterol to serum cholesterol."

They are actually citing the "excellent" work of none other than Ancel Keys!

Mini_mi is offline Member
    Hey artbuc,

I'm no doctor or "expert". What I am is a 55 year old former vegan who has been paleo for about 3 months. While vegan (absolutely no animal products for 3 years), I would get bloodwork done annually and it was very good. Did some research on paleo. Tried it 3 months ago, just got blood work results Total cholesterol: 92 HDL 50 LDL 42 triglycerides 40. I have been averaging 3 eggs a day 4 or 5 pieces of bacon, grass fed beef, pork, chicken. My cholesterol has remained almost exactly what it was in vegan days and my triglycerides are actually lower. I would say don't worry about dietary cholesterol.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini_mi View Post
    Hey artbuc,

I'm no doctor or "expert". What I am is a 55 year old former vegan who has been paleo for about 3 months. While vegan (absolutely no animal products for 3 years), I would get bloodwork done annually and it was very good. Did some research on paleo. Tried it 3 months ago, just got blood work results Total cholesterol: 92 HDL 50 LDL 42 triglycerides 40. I have been averaging 3 eggs a day 4 or 5 pieces of bacon, grass fed beef, pork, chicken. My cholesterol has remained almost exactly what it was in vegan days and my triglycerides are actually lower. I would say don't worry about dietary cholesterol.
    Mini_mi, there is a school of thought that such low cholesterol is not optimal. Very low cholesterol is often associated with chronic infection. Any issues in that regard?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Mini_mi is offline Member
    Hi peril,

I haven't been sick in years. I've done a little research on the supposed 'too low cholesterol', and its extremely rare and if there is a problem the individual would have associative symptoms like low red blood count, high white cell count, etc. The doctor that did my last physical said that whatever I'm doing "keep doing it".

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post

I wish someone knew the truth about dietary cholesterol!!
    expecting the truth from those working for drug companies is a bit much!

CONFLICT OF INTEREST: Dr Spence and Dr Davignon have received honoraria and speakerís fees from several pharmaceutical companies manufacturing lipid-lowering drugs, and Dr Davignon has received support from Pfizer Canada for an annual atherosclerosis symposium; his research has been funded in part by Pfizer Canada, AstraZeneca Canada Inc and Merck Frosst Canada Ltd.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Mini_mi, there is a school of thought that such low cholesterol is not optimal. Very low cholesterol is often associated with chronic infection. Any issues in that regard?
    I have familial low cholesterol. There are lots of risks associated with low cholesterol, but across the aggregate population the risks may be skewed by the fact that many people with low cholesterol are actually quite sick, and their low cholesterol is a result of that, rather than the cause.

Any doctor who congratulates someone with extraordinarily low blood cholesterol has his head up his ass. First, because in all likelihood it's not something they did, but rather what they are, and second, because it's not a goal anyone should have.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I am also skeptical to the notion that we "know" what "normal" or "good" cholesterol numbers are.

M.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm amazed that such a 'study' could be published in a reputable journal. It's not a study but a very biased review of selected studies. He never mentioned the meta-studies that show no difference in different diet results.

My faith in medical studies keeps falling lower and lower.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast