Thread: my neighbor just gave me her ice cream maker. need easy recipes. page

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member

my neighbor just gave me her ice cream maker. need easy recipes.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'd like to make some vanilla ice cream or fro yo that is as easy as possible. I have carton of almond breeze almond coconut milk but im unsure how well that would translate into ice cream and several tubs of fage 2% yogurt. I was looking at doing some goat milk ice cream if possible. But I need some pretty basic standard recipes.

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    Basically, to make ice cream, make custard and freeze it. I would typically use four egg yolks to a pint of double (heavy) cream, but you could add more eggs or egg yolks to make it richer.

But I haven't actually attempted to make ice-cream since going Primal a couple of months ago: we still have some shop-bought stuff in the freezer which we're eating as a very occasional treat, so it's going down very slowly.

What I'd like to know is whether you can simply omit the sugar from a conventional recipe and have it work. Normally with a pint of cream you'd add 100g of caster sugar (yes, I mix my units, so sue me). Could I just leave that out altogether? Assuming you can, then the procedure would be as follows:

Put cream in small saucepan and heat until it just starts foaming. And if you have a vanilla pod, split it and put it in the saucepan too.
    Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks in a large bowl.
    Pour the hot cream into the bowl in a few stages, so the eggs don't curdle. Remove the vanilla pod at this stage. If you didn't have a vanilla pod, add some vanilla essence now.
    Whisk hard, then pour back into the saucepan and cook with stirring until it thickens.
    Pour into the ice-cream maker and let it do its thing, then decant into a pot and freeze.

I do wonder whether it's worthwhile making savoury ice-cream, maybe following something like this recipe but freezing instead of baking?

Someone else will probably be along to talk about coconut milk ice-cream, which I've never tried. But I have to say this looks appealing.