Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about diabetes page

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

Question about diabetes

Primal Fuel
    One of my family members recently read Wheat Belly and is about to start reading The Primal Blueprint. He's had type 2 diabetes for many, many years, and what he read in Wheat Belly scared him spitless. So he immediately cut out wheat -- roughly 90% of the time, he says. He did this for a short amount of time (I think three weeks), and he checked his blood sugar during that time. He says that there was no rhyme or reason for his sugar spiking -- there were times when it was low, and times when it was extremely high, even without wheat (mostly). He's very frustrated.

I asked him if he'd been keeping a food journal, and he said yes, so he'll be emailing that to me. Once I get that, I'll know what he's been eating (assuming, of course, he's been faithfully logging everything). I'll be checking to see if he's getting hidden wheat in his food, as well as what "10%" actually translates to in terms of his diet.

So my question to the group, for him, is this: Does eating 10% wheat really throw off blood sugar? Is 90% truly not good enough?

Many thanks in advance!
    Last edited by dragonjax; 08-04-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: I can't spell worth sit.

RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    There could be a lot more to it. Is he on metformin or any other glucose controlling medication? If he is drastically changing his diet, then his meds need to be adjusted as well and he needs to work with his doc on a lot of this.

My own personal experience is that any wheat at all throws me off. Certainly, a 90% decrease is better than nothing, but even a little bit could be throwing him off. Also, don't just look for the wheat, but look for any processed foods because those very often have boat loads of hidden sugars. I was looking at "healthy" granola bars at Sam's Club this morning and 4 of the ingredients were a type of sugar. I think I'll get the ingredients to make the energy bars from the recipe here instead.

Your family member is certainly on the right track and this isn't a quick fix by any means. I think your main goal may just to keep encouraging him to keep up with it and not give up when he doesn't see results immediately. Good luck!

Thanks, RobinNM - this is very helpful! I'm not sure about medication -- I'll ask him when I get his food journal.

I'm definitely giving him a huge thumbs up. We're going to talk again in a few days.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    HFCS and sugars are hidden everywhere these days, you need to read labels. I have reversed my Type 2 Diabetes on primal and I'm confident that 99% of people that can stick to primal can do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    HFCS and sugars are hidden everywhere these days, you need to read labels. I have reversed my Type 2 Diabetes on primal and I'm confident that 99% of people that can stick to primal can do the same.
    WeldingHank, would you say that cutting wheat isn't enough? That for my relative to really get his diabetes under control, he should give primal an honest effort? Is it the sugar as well as the grain that's having an impact on his blood sugar? (Okay, rereading what I just wrote, I want to say "Duh," but I really know nothing about diabetes, so any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!)

Motorhead is offline Member
    ^ what he said!
    SW on 10/1/11: 380lbs.
    CW 12/13/12: 315lbs. (Was under 300#, added some muscle :-) )
    GW: 10% B.F. 250lbs. - 275lbs. (6' 4" tall)

mystifiedu is offline Member
    there could be many factors involved and any medications - due to their side effects could have a part in this. So can an over or under acting thyroid, lacking of any of the proper nutritional nutrients the body needs even a minute amount,gluten intolerance, any extra stress, excess of toxins or debree in the body and or colon area that is not getting normally flushed out

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    WeldingHank, would you say that cutting wheat isn't enough? That for my relative to really get his diabetes under control, he should give primal an honest effort? Is it the sugar as well as the grain that's having an impact on his blood sugar? (Okay, rereading what I just wrote, I want to say "Duh," but I really know nothing about diabetes, so any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!)
    Just cutting wheat was absolutely not enough for me. I found even some fruits would make my blood sugar really high (though it would come down much faster than wheat) Though it may be different for your relative.

To come off of being diabetic its not just wheat, its ANY carbohydrate that must be converted to sugar.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    I think this site is a good place to learn about diabetes:
    Blood Sugar 101

PrimalCon New York
    Thank you all very, very much!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast