Thread: Primal Ketchup? page

Forgttnhrt is offline Junior Member

Primal Ketchup?

Primal Fuel
    I'm making my list for shopping today and thought I would whip up some primal ketchup (I've been "cheating" and using up the last of my reduced sugar commercial ketchup these two weeks as I transitioned into primal eating - figured a bit of icky processed ketchup every now and then wouldn't kill me). I can't find out, however, how long the PB Ketchup from the cookbook will last? It does not say in the book and though I did search around on the forums some, I can't find the answer. I live alone so 1-1/2 cups of ketchup could last awhile, I'm thinking perhaps I should cut it in half if it lasts too long.

(I have some more forum/cookbook perusing, but if anyone has quick veggie ideas, too... I'm already growing tired of spinach/broccoli/zucchini/squash and I looooove those veggies, but I'm not a very experienced cook so I don't know good ways to branch out.).

Thank you!

garod82 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgttnhrt View Post
    I'm making my list for shopping today and thought I would whip up some primal ketchup (I've been "cheating" and using up the last of my reduced sugar commercial ketchup these two weeks as I transitioned into primal eating - figured a bit of icky processed ketchup every now and then wouldn't kill me). I can't find out, however, how long the PB Ketchup from the cookbook will last? It does not say in the book and though I did search around on the forums some, I can't find the answer. I live alone so 1-1/2 cups of ketchup could last awhile, I'm thinking perhaps I should cut it in half if it lasts too long.

(I have some more forum/cookbook perusing, but if anyone has quick veggie ideas, too... I'm already growing tired of spinach/broccoli/zucchini/squash and I looooove those veggies, but I'm not a very experienced cook so I don't know good ways to branch out.).

Thank you!
    Check out the ingredients on Organic Ketchup. Its probably you're best bte unless you feel like making it yourself. The worst ingredient in organic ketchup (from Trader Joe's) is organic Cane Sugar. But keep in mind there's only 4 carbs in a tbsp. I eat it when I want ketchup which is only a couple times a week.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    If you decide that you don't care for the ketchup that you can get, look in to making some alternatives. Chimichurris, salsas. relishes, and pickles can all make great additions of that sour taste to food and can add a lot of variety to your food.

One that I love is finely diced red onion with lime juice, white vinegar, cilantro and a lit cumin. It is great on all kinds of foods.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Try googling lacto fermented ketchup. That does keep better. And there are plenty recipes available online.