Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ketosis, Weight Loss, & Fasting page

farrago is offline Junior Member

Ketosis, Weight Loss, & Fasting

Hi

One thing that always puzzled me slightly. People tend to rant a lot about how dangerous they think it is to be in ketosis. We know that's not true, of course, and they're confusing it with ketoacidosis. But how does anyone lose weight (except muscle/water), i.e. lose fat, without producing ketones? What is the biochemical pathway to WL in CW? Or am I missing something?

Secondly, thoughts re water vs meat broth fasting to kick start weight loss?

Thanks

Nady is offline Senior Member
    As I understand it, any time you burn fat (which is pretty much always) you make ketones. Being 'in ketosis' usually refers to using fat as the primary source of energy to the extent that ketones 'spill over' (are excreted) and can be measured with ketostix. Like everything else, there are degrees~ personally, I like to keep the carbs low enough to burn fat, but not so low that if I eat a bit higher carbs one day, I blow up with water retention.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    keto stix are not reliably accurate. they do measure spilled ketones, but that is often a factor of hydration. plenty of people are in ketosis, burning fat and never turn strips any color at all.

wl through cw is usually just lower-cals, but by its nature that means at least lower-carb, since there is less food. those kinds of diets are often too low in protein, so people end up losing some fat, but muscle too.

meat broth should help with some minerals and electrolytes vs. water, so fasting might be easier with it. initial weight loss is usually just water anyway, so you don't really need to fast.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

farrago is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the info and the explanation. Re fasting, I've been reading about it and the benefits, at least of intermittent fasting, seem to go beyond weight loss. So I am willing to give it a go.

Paleo For Women | Shattering the Myth of Fasting for Women: A Review of Female-Specific Responses to Fasting in the Literature

have you read this?

work on what you are actually eating. worry about fasting down the road, if at all.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    Paleo For Women | Shattering the Myth of Fasting for Women: A Review of Female-Specific Responses to Fasting in the Literature

have you read this?

work on what you are actually eating. worry about fasting down the road, if at all.
    Read it but don't take it as *carved in stone* gospel~ I've been 'skipping meals' (now known as IF) my entire life. In fact the only time I had any weight problem is when I ate CW. Now that I'm back to skipping, it's reversing. Oh, and I managed to produce two full term healthy babies too! And for what it's worth, I'm talking about over 50 years of IFing. That makes it a long term study, wouldn't you say?

June68 is offline Senior Member
    When I skip a meal I usually do it either because I'm out and about and just can't fit one in (long photography day, flying cross-country etc.) or because I'm not hungry. I don't do it regularly or on a schedule, but I'm also not worried about missing a meal. Other than when I have some wine or other alcohol, I'm pretty much always in ketosis and I'm doing quite well. Granted, it's only been 2 months and I'm sure there are others who have been doing this longer, but there it is.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Read it but don't take it as *carved in stone* gospel~ I've been 'skipping meals' (now known as IF) my entire life. In fact the only time I had any weight problem is when I ate CW. Now that I'm back to skipping, it's reversing. Oh, and I managed to produce two full term healthy babies too! And for what it's worth, I'm talking about over 50 years of IFing. That makes it a long term study, wouldn't you say?
    just offering options. for whatever reason lots of people think fasting is a requirement for this woe. if somebody is just coming off SAD, and is accustomed to eating 5-6 x per day, or basically all day, trying to fast will utterly suck.

i do much better with two meals per day and most days go from 5 pm til 11 am between last and first.

Ernest Hemingway

Paleobird Guest
    I live in ketosis pretty much all the time since I am using it to try out epilepsy control on reduced medication doses.

There is decades worth of research on long term ketosis for the treatment of epilepsy, all without adverse effects. Johns Hopkins has some interesting info on their website and there is also and Atkinsforseizures.com website.

I would also recommend the book, "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Phinney and Volek to dispel any lingering fear mongering misinformation about ketosis.

I like Mark's WHEN approach to fasting as opposed to any set schedule but I call mine WHEN X 2. That is, I wait until When Hunger Ensues Naturally, and then ignore it the first time. It does go away. If it comes back again, then I eat.

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by farrago View Post
    Thanks for the info and the explanation. Re fasting, I've been reading about it and the benefits, at least of intermittent fasting, seem to go beyond weight loss. So I am willing to give it a go.
    I just did an extended fast - water, no broth. I created a journal which you may find informative, if not a bit dry: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread61221.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast