Thread: Trying to go primal while working in a warehouse page

mr.ben is offline Junior Member

Trying to go primal while working in a warehouse

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys, so last time I tried to go paleo/primal while working in this fast paced warehouse, I got destroyed by the low carb flu and I didn't even come close to keeping up with my numbers (or 'quota'). I lift around 30 thousand pounds of food a day, and the pace is really fast. I'm basically sweating the majority of the 8 hours.

Basically I depend on wheat and sugar and caffeine to get through my day, but I really wanna be healthy. Last time I kept caffeine in, and I will again to give me a fighting chance this time. Last time I think I may have come up short on calories, as I felt sooo hungry and weak.

Do you guys have any advice on going paleo so that the low carb flu either does not last that long or is not that severe? I really want to be able to pull this off . The feeling of failure is terrible, and I put every ounce of my will power into it last time, but around day 3 I was only at 70 % quota and felt like I may faint soon, so I had to give in and eat excessive carbs for energy.

Thanks for any advice.

Ben

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    If you change your carb sources from wheat to tubers and fruit or even some white rice, that will be an improvement. I don't think you necessarily have to be low carb to get all the health benefits of eating Primal, but it does work better for some people. Others have reported success with using coconut oil to get more energy on a low carb diet. Coconut oil is high in medium-chain trigylcerides, which are used for energy more quickly than other fats. So if you're set on going low carb, you could try that.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    If you change your carb sources from wheat to tubers and fruit or even some white rice, that will be an improvement. I don't think you necessarily have to be low carb to get all the health benefits of eating Primal, but it does work better for some people. Others have reported success with using coconut oil to get more energy on a low carb diet. Coconut oil is high in medium-chain trigylcerides, which are used for energy more quickly than other fats. So if you're set on going low carb, you could try that.
    Yeah, I'm just so attracted to that idea of steady energy and even potentially a smoother running brain.

Good call, I'll up the daily coconut oil.

Thanks

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    I work construction, and I box.
    There's no way in hell that I can go low carb and not drag ass and look like a walking skeleton inside of two weeks.
    Tubers, fruit, and lots of vegetables are prominent in my diet, and they're much better for you than wheat.
    You'll burn those carbs up lifting all that food all day long.
    If you do any type of heavy/physically challenging work and/or training, you can't be afraid of good carbs.
    Others may disagree....so be it. To each his own.
    The coconut oil is a good suggestion too, and I always keep a small container of almonds in my lunchbox in case I'm starving between meals. That's gotten me out of jams on many occasions.
    Last edited by counterpuncher; 08-04-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    I work construction, and I box.
    There's no way in hell that I can go low carb and not drag ass and look like a walking skeleton inside of two weeks.
    Tubers, fruit, and lots of vegetables are prominent in my diet, and they're much better for you than wheat.
    You'll burn those carbs up lifting all that food all day long.
    If you do any type of heavy/physically challenging work and/or training, you can't be afraid of good carbs.
    Others may disagree....so be it. To each his own.
    The coconut oil is a good suggestion too, and I always keep a small container of almonds in my lunchbox in case I'm starving between meals. That's gotten me out of jams on many occasions.

Yeah, I can definitely see me loading up on tubers or white rice if I can't get low carb to work. However I am still hopeful, and just bought "the art and science of low carbohydrate performance".

If I remember to, I will report back some day, maybe in a month, saying how it went.

If someone reads this and wants to know how it went, just reply in this thread, it will send me an email.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Good luck to you with whatever approach you choose to use. I'm sure it will work out fine, one way or the other.
    After all, we're all different, and what's most important is doing whatever works for you.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Primal doesn't have to be low-carb. Eat a bunch of fruit, tubers, and occasional white rice and you'll be fine.