Thread: Thoughts on Programming page

Mammoth is offline Junior Member

Thoughts on Programming

Primal Fuel
    Groks and Grokettes,

Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated. I understand diet is the major factor, but I want to ensure my workout program is not counterproductive. I'm looking to incorporate IF and low-carb throughout.

Current Goal: Reduce bodyfat as fast as possible for a skinfold test (sub 20% bf required).
    Equipment: Power Rack with oly weights, C2 Rower, Kettlebells

The plan is a fasted 50-60 minute walk first thing in the morning (0600) each weekday.
    Another walk at work (1200) for 30 minutes, then eat first meal of the day.

Two nights a week (2030) I'll lift, either SS,GSLP,5/3/1 progression - doesn't matter which, but probably GSLP. I'm happy to increase this to three nights a week again.

Somewhere in there I'd like to incorporate some conditioning, tabata somethings perhaps, and the rower.

I'm sitting at around 108kg, assuming 28-30% bf (goal is below 20% asap) I was much heavier (119kg and measured 29%bf) before paleo and GSLP (no cardio/walking) took me down to 108kg.. I can comfortably squat/dl/bench/press after various linear progressions. I do suck at bodyweight work and couldn't chin to save myself.

Any thoughts, links to other stories or suggestions on programming are welcomed.

Mammoth

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    If you suck at bodyweight stuff, then do it! Not only is that kind of movement natural for the body, but the fact that it is difficult will mean you are using more energy to accomplish the movements. Inefficiency is a good thing sometimes.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Compound movements each for 3-5 sets 2 or 3 times a week with a good number of carbs post workout. And I agree with EvRevFit, if bodyweight stuff is tough then I would mostly do that.

You can always build up to chins and dips by doing partial push up/chair dips etc and dumbbell rows or negative chins or flex hangs until you get to better strength levels. But bodyweight exercise will come when you are at the lower weight as long as you begin to train towards them.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    I personally enjoy bodyweight exercises, but resistance training with a barbell is just as efficient. And it's a lot easier to adjust the intensity. I have a gut feeling you're unable to do anything bodyweight related for more than a couple of repetitions and with sub-optimal form at the moment. The barbell is probably your best friend for the time being.

What really bothers me has nothing to do with your choice of exercises though. You've lost 11 kilogram so far (24 lbs. for the yanks), and your bodyfat percentage hasn't decreased? That means you lost about 8 kilogram of lean body mass in the process. That's an unmitigated disaster.

You need to get your diet in check asap. And lift some heavy shit. Also, I'd strongly advise you not to lose weight too fast - but that doesn't sit well with most people on this board.

Mammoth is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for all the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    What really bothers me has nothing to do with your choice of exercises though. You've lost 11 kilogram so far (24 lbs. for the yanks), and your bodyfat percentage hasn't decreased? That means you lost about 8 kilogram of lean body mass in the process. That's an unmitigated disaster.
    That specific % in the OP was perhaps a poor assumption on my part. I had my % measured at the start, but not again since. I've lost a few inches off the waist and gone down two holes on my Toro Leaver Belt in addition to all major lifts improving rapidly. My squat is at 130kg x 5 and the deadlift is at 140kg x 6 (286lbs and 308lbs respectively).

I really need to get it measured again.