Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bacon page

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member

Bacon

Primal Fuel
    I've been noticing people slamming bacon in a variety of different threads dealing with different things. Did I miss something? Is bacon no longer the Primal Champion food?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Nope. Bacon and butter are unlimited Primal fare.....long as it is well sourced.

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    In the UK, for me bacon means Duchy Originals organic from Waitrose or Sainsbury's organic both 3.99 GBP for six rashers. Hand cured and fantastic. Sainsbury's is now selling Oscar Meyer American-style bacon which doesn't seem like a positive to me. I have only found nitrate free bacon on Laverstoke Park Farm's website. I would rather eat bacon without chemicals and organic bacon seems to have a lot less and less salt.

Bacon is essential mmmm

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Bacon is jokingly used by mark. "there is no such thing as too much bacon" etc. and to make primal easier, because bacon tastes so damn good. It's high fat and low carb and natural so fits perfectly in the primal theory. But it's not a superfood. It's very high in calories which could make it a moderation food for some. Also it has high PUFA content. It's perfectly fine to eat but beef or lamb is better. Personally I eat it 2x or so a week at breakfast.
    Butter is the same story. Not unhealthy, but high in calories. And not super nutritious. Though it has a quite high content of fat soluble vitamins and small amounts of minerals

Also people go way overboard with this and take everything literally. They think "oh so fat doesn't make me fat? Then I can eat as much as I want as long as I'm VLC!"
    Fat is good, but people need to use common sense
    Last edited by Gadsie; 08-04-2012 at 02:49 AM.
    Billie trips balls

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Bacon is jokingly used by mark. "there is no such thing as too much bacon" etc. and to make primal easier, because bacon tastes so damn good. It's high fat and low carb and natural so fits perfectly in the primal theory. But it's not a superfood. It's very high in calories which could make it a moderation food for some. Also it has high PUFA content. It's perfectly fine to eat but beef or lamb is better. Personally I eat it 2x or so a week at breakfast.
    Butter is the same story. Not unhealthy, but high in calories. And not super nutritious. Though it has a quite high content of fat soluble vitamins and small amounts of minerals

Also people go way overboard with this and take everything literally. They think "oh so fat doesn't make me fat? Then I can eat as much as I want as long as I'm VLC!"
    +1
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post

I disagree.....bacon and butter are unlimited as long as you stick to the carb curve.

Only consider the extreme idea of limiting bacon in the case of (about 20%) of dieters. You are extremely metabolically deranged and require one on one work.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    According to silly old Livestrong -
    Bacon is high in the micronutrients selenium, phosphorus and niacin. One slice contains 5 micrograms of selenium, 43.5 micrograms of phosphorus and .9 micrograms of niacin. Other micronutrients present in small amounts in bacon include potassium, zinc, iron, calcium, choline, folate, vitamin A and vitamin B12.

Read more: Bacon Nutrition Information | LIVESTRONG.COM
    And according to Top 10 Reasons Bacon Is Actually HEALTHY For You!
    Several university and medical center studies have shown that including bacon as a regular, moderate pat of one’s diet, actually naturally works to lower the bodies blood pressure and blood sugar levels, helping to prevent and / or alleviate the effects of diabetes, as well as heart disease, stroke and heart attack.
    It also has loads of thiamin! That's right, the elusive thiamin is hiding in bacon!

I get Trader Joe's Uncured ends and pieces. Eat two pounds a week. It's probably from grain-fed pigs, but it's still low-carb and very affordable and delicious. I have not gained any weight doing this. Nor have I done it for long.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Niman Ranch uncured applewood smoked. I can get it locally. The only thing limiting this family's consumption is the price, but that probably is a good thing - if we could eat as much as we liked, the Midwest would experience a hog shortage for 2012...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post

I get Trader Joe's Uncured ends and pieces. Eat two pounds a week. It's probably from grain-fed pigs, but it's still low-carb and very affordable and delicious. I have not gained any weight doing this. Nor have I done it for long.
    You've absolutely got to try Pure Country Pork's uncured, sugar-free bacon. I know PCC markets sell them if you have one nearby.

Actually, that's the only brand so far that I've found not slathered in brown sugar or maple. Kind of weird. Bacon does not need sugar to be delicious...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast