Thread: Sledgehammer super-setting page

Caveman_chris is offline Junior Member

Sledgehammer super-setting

Primal Fuel
    Hi guys, I recently acquired a biggish tractor tyre (circa 3 1/2ft tall) and I bought a sledgehammer, it's only a 10lb but it's the biggest I could get in all of the DIY shops in the area (was also the cheapest which is weird)

Anyway, I'm going to try and destroy it tomorrow, but I'm looking for an exercise that I can superset with it. The only things I can think of are kb/db snatches and bb clean and (push)press.

Oh, I also got a pair of 19.5 ltr water cooler bottles with the think handles on the side for some farmers walks, atlas stone etc. any idea how much one would weigh filled with wet sand?

Really looking to do some work outdoors at the minute as the weather is so nice. Top up on some vitamin D while I'm there.

Thanks, Chris.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you'll be having lots of fun soon! I need to exercise outdoors more often.

I've done tabata sledgehammer swings before (20 seconds all out/10 seconds rest x 8 rounds) and it's a blast. I usually do one full set of 8, rest for a few minutes then do a second set. I'm always nice and winded after those. It's not a superset, but it's a great workout. Any of the options you mentioned sound like they would work well for a super set.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    i don't usually superset them with anything. i just do them. sometimes i do 30 seconds right, 30 second left, rest 30 seconds. repeat. sometimes i do swings by count. 20 swings right, 20 swings left, 20 swings underhand right, 20 swings underhand left. rest. repeat.

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member
    Sand weighs approx 1800kg per m3 wet sand would be a bit more with the air voids filled. I would guess your 19l containers would weight approx 35 to 40 kg's. If filled with water (1000kg/m3) they would weigh 19 kg's

Cheers
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

Well....the tyre survived.

Tabatas were a great shout! I seem to be a lot better at short intense bursts. Got a free tabata timer app too with 'beebs' on so I can give it my full attention.

Been looking for grip/forearm strength exercises for a while, and the straight up and down swings certainly seem to do the job. recommend it to anyone.

Chris

This is one of the most intense, fun and satisfying workouts I've done. And it's cost me very little (less than one months gym)

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Right on! I'm ready for that kind of workout. But my little urban yard is too small for a big tire...any other ideas on things to sledgehammer?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B-D View Post
    Right on! I'm ready for that kind of workout. But my little urban yard is too small for a big tire...any other ideas on things to sledgehammer?
    I saw a picture online of a regular sized tyre, stood upright with some kind of brace to keep it there. Also, before I got hold of my tyre I was thinking of using one of those flexible buckets filled with sand.

Chris

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom B-D View Post
    You cd. try using the sledge as a club and adjust up and down the handle to change leverage...Look up some clubbell exercises on you tube.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman_chris View Post
    Well....the tyre survived.

Been looking for grip/forearm strength exercises for a while, and the straight up and down swings certainly seem to do the job. recommend it to anyone.
    you can try sledgehammer levering and sledgehammer walking for grip and forearm exercises. look it up on youtube, or more specifically the dieselcrew's you tube page