Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal pond talk. BIG coldwater fish ideas needed. page

Knifegill is online now Senior Member

Primal pond talk. BIG coldwater fish ideas needed.

Shop Now
    Inheriting a big pond with my new house. Need a nice big catfish or similar to have as a wet pet in there. NW Washington means it needs to winter over in there. Koi are cliche'. Don't really want a big carp. Channel catfish are also dime a dozen, though I might have to settle for one. Rather have a blue catfish if I can get one, though they supposedly don't get that huge here. Flathead might be hard to find, too - but could it handle winter? Sturgeon won't come up and eat out of my hand, so they're out. Bagarius yarrelli might not tolerate the winter, and those teeth are a little too creepy, even for me - but that would be a neat fish to come home to. Probably can't find a wels, though it would clearly be the best option, aside from food costs. And I think mekong needs higher temps. Any other ideas? I'll be feeding it well! Lots of fish and organ meats!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Pike?
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Brown Trout

Seriously, have you ever seen trout in a hatchery? they put a plank in the water and hit it with a pole and they come running from all ends of their pond. They can most definatly be trained and love both cold and warm water. They will happily eat nightcrawlers and bugs but prefer real prey (shiners/baitfish.)

edit: How deep is the pond? That will play a big role in how big you can grow any fish. you will need more than 10ft depths to get anything growing decent with 20ft+ being optimal.
    Last edited by WeldingHank; 08-03-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I believe sturgeon will in fact eat out of your hand.

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Inheriting a big pond with my new house. Need a nice big catfish or similar to have as a wet pet in there. NW Washington means it needs to winter over in there. Koi are cliche'. Don't really want a big carp. Channel catfish are also dime a dozen, though I might have to settle for one. Rather have a blue catfish if I can get one, though they supposedly don't get that huge here. Flathead might be hard to find, too - but could it handle winter? Sturgeon won't come up and eat out of my hand, so they're out. Bagarius yarrelli might not tolerate the winter, and those teeth are a little too creepy, even for me - but that would be a neat fish to come home to. Probably can't find a wels, though it would clearly be the best option, aside from food costs. And I think mekong needs higher temps. Any other ideas? I'll be feeding it well! Lots of fish and organ meats!
    If you want any other living thing in that pond to remain alive, you might think twice about the flathead catfish; though, if you don't care about other fish/frogs/the occasional duck, feel free. They are predatory, and voracious.
    They prefer to winter in deep water, but they are fairly cold tolerant. They also will get up over 80 pounds with a fair amount of regularity IF you keep them fed.
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    No suggestions but cool about getting a pond.
    Very loud bullfrogs in my grand pop's pond were my favorites.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Awwww, the sturgeon are too cute! Maybe I'll try a sterlet...

Yes to all the other ideas! Flathead would be great. Raccoon? Herons? All mere snacks!

Pond is about 6.5 feet deep when full, down to about 5 feet now. If it dries out every summer I'll have to fill it (have our own well) and probably aerate it, too, during the hot, dry season. Flathead might not be hardy enough. They look like a fragile catfish. And sturgeon have pretty O2 needs, too, don't they?

Pond is sort of triangular. 45 feet wide at the wide end, narrowing down to where the stream fills it - and about 50 feet long. Gets 3 feet shallow near the exit point, but about 1/3 of it is very deep.

Visited it today, and saw some goldfish in it. My friend and I named one Christian Matherson. I don't care if they get eaten. I want a giant buddy.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I love sturgeon/sterlet. I had a small pond overseas and would see them from time to time at places that sold fish and always wanted one but they get too big. I had assorted goldfish and a couple of koi so nothing too exotic. I do like carp, especially when they get used to people, tank-like.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    For what you describe as a pond, Carp. Seriously, they can live and thrive ANYWHERE, and will eat anything (they are omnivores much like us)

I know its cliche', but its a great choice for what you have. And they get HUGE.

Blanchy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    For what you describe as a pond, Carp. Seriously, they can live and thrive ANYWHERE, and will eat anything (they are omnivores much like us)

I know its cliche', but its a great choice for what you have. And they get HUGE.
    Agreed! Carp are beasts. I'm not so sure about the trout suggestion though- if the water temperature rises to 75 F or above, they'll kick the bucket. Admittedly that is a pretty high temperature, but if you've got a small body of water, I don't think it would be impossible on a hot day.
    "Itís not about how strong you are, itís how well you can move with that strength."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast