Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling like utter crap: fat malabsorption transitioning into ketosis? page 2

patski is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    That's initially what my naturopath thought. But it's still going 24 hours+ later!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    What is your reasoning behind this statement?
    Diarrhea, loose stools. Without a gallbladder, you cannot process the extra fat on a very, very low carb WOE. We *need* to eat loads of veggies and some fruit.

This sums it up well:

How to Enjoy Bacon without a Gallbladder | Paleo Parents
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Sounds to me like a big and sudden shift in your diet. Perhaps a little more of an easing into it would help.

According to the ever-CW Livestrong website:
    According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, you can continue living successfully without a gallbladder since the liver actually produces the bile you need for digestion. At the same time, without the regulatory pumping action provided by the gallbladder, you may experience different kinds of digestive disorders. Without sufficient bile for example, you may have trouble digesting a large meal or eating fatty foods.
    Note the words I've bolded. You may have trouble. Note the words "the liver actually produces the bile you need for digestion". This would indicate that eating a ketogenic diet may actually be entirely possible, but I'd work my way up to it if I were you.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Hope you're feeling better.

Yeah, I don't quite think I can pull a Peggy from theprimalparent.com and eat only meat and fat. There's no reason for me to! Stupid, so stupid.

I'll go back to eating meat, veg and fat (in that order) once my gut settles. I was doing just fine. I only have to be more choosy as to what veg I can eat.

Thanks for the warm wishes, Judy

Also: Livestrong drives me nuts! It comes up in every search I ever do, and the info is inconsistent.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Diarrhea, loose stools. Without a gallbladder, you cannot process the extra fat on a very, very low carb WOE. We *need* to eat loads of veggies and some fruit.
    This has not been my experience. I've been without a gallbladder for more than 20 years. Diarrhea has been such a problem over the years that I coined the phrase, "Imodium is my friend."

Since going low carb/primal things have greatly improved.I eat adequate veggies and very little fruit. I don't go out of my way to add fat for fat's sake. I also don't avoid it. Butter, bacon, cheese, olive oil, coconut oil are, off the top of my head, staples.

I also agree with sbhikes, big, sudden shifts will bring on a bout of diarrhea for me. I went off the rails for the weekend, a few weeks ago. That resulted in 2 days of needing to be near the bathroom. When things like that happen and I need to be out and about then my overall eating is curtailed and Imodium becomes my friend again.

That's it.

I have to buy Imodium tomorrow. I've had enough of this.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Yeah, I don't quite think I can pull a Peggy from theprimalparent.com and eat only meat and fat. There's no reason for me to! Stupid, so stupid.

I'll go back to eating meat, veg and fat (in that order) once my gut settles. I was doing just fine. I only have to be more choosy as to what veg I can eat.

Thanks for the warm wishes, Judy

Also: Livestrong drives me nuts! It comes up in every search I ever do, and the info is inconsistent.
    Don't be too hard on the Livestrong writers - i used to be one. They make us write CW crap or else we don't get paid. It's why I quit, because I got tired of spouting nonsense. Just don't click on the links when they come up in a search. I don't, not even if it's my own article, because I don't believe half the crap I had to write. Neither do many of the writers who are still there. Just FYI. It's not a great resource for people who know better, and by virtue of the fact that you're here, I'm pretty sure you know better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12