Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: General hobby/craft making stuff thread page 2

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    For some reason I want to build boats even though I don't have the tools nor do I live on a lake/river
    Well, if you live close enough and have a vehicle you could put it in/tow it behind. A friend of mine's husband built a boat having no idea what he was doing and it turned out really well. We've thought about it, and it would be a really cool thing to do, but too many other things going on and the practicality of it wouldn't be all that great.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I make beaded jewellery:

Beadminster jewellery - Beadminster - Home

Yep, there are some broken links on the site, as I've not maintained it for well over a year, and the visitor number counter has disappeared. I had to wind down the business when it got down to break-even stage. Just too much competition, in a recession, plus lousy service from event organisers.

I love making jewellery though, and some of my later designs for one-off necklaces were much more sophisticated than those in the photos on the site. Necklace/bracelet/earring sets using sea jasper and picasso jasper beads imported from Hong Kong were very popular. Those were stunning natural materials to work with.
    That's another thing that I would love to be able to do. I bought some wire just to mess around with but it didn't get very far. Whenever we're out on walks with the dogs we take them to the creek and I always find interesting stones, pieces of glass that have been worn down by the water, assorted 'stuff' and bring it home. Maybe this winter when I can't work outside as much. We have a Dremel tool that I've messed around with a bit and want to check out some tutorials for. We also have some big Corian remnants in the garage (I want to go scrounge up the rest. A cabinet company dumped them.) that I was going to get my boyfriend to cut into small pieces on the table saw then I'll shape, drill and polish, which is actually pretty easy.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    Well, if you live close enough and have a vehicle you could put it in/tow it behind. A friend of mine's husband built a boat having no idea what he was doing and it turned out really well. We've thought about it, and it would be a really cool thing to do, but too many other things going on and the practicality of it wouldn't be all that great.
    More info?
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    That's another thing that I would love to be able to do. I bought some wire just to mess around with but it didn't get very far. Whenever we're out on walks with the dogs we take them to the creek and I always find interesting stones, pieces of glass that have been worn down by the water, assorted 'stuff' and bring it home. Maybe this winter when I can't work outside as much. We have a Dremel tool that I've messed around with a bit and want to check out some tutorials for. We also have some big Corian remnants in the garage (I want to go scrounge up the rest. A cabinet company dumped them.) that I was going to get my boyfriend to cut into small pieces on the table saw then I'll shape, drill and polish, which is actually pretty easy.
    Making high quality beads as you describe would be cool. That's something I've not invested any time and money into attempting and am not sure that I would be successful at it. As you have the necessary skills you could do well making and selling beads to jewellery makers.

That said, I'm sure that it is immensely satisfying to make both the beads and the jewellery. I would like one day to do the whole thing, from making my own lampwork beads or semi-precious beads through to making the jewellery. I found learning how to do the findings quite easy - I googled it. It was fiddly but only took a couple of days to master, perhaps because I am short-sighted and have very good fine motor skills in my hands that require very little strength.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    More info?
    According to her he didn't know what he was doing, just wanted to build one, went online and found info and build it out of "Believe it or not the ply wood floor from our garage, bondo, fiberglass, common tarps, other odds & ends wood". Don't know if he's built another one but she said he was talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Making high quality beads as you describe would be cool. That's something I've not invested any time and money into attempting and am not sure that I would be successful at it. As you have the necessary skills you could do well making and selling beads to jewellery makers.

That said, I'm sure that it is immensely satisfying to make both the beads and the jewellery. I would like one day to do the whole thing, from making my own lampwork beads or semi-precious beads through to making the jewellery. I found learning how to do the findings quite easy - I googled it. It was fiddly but only took a couple of days to master, perhaps because I am short-sighted and have very good fine motor skills in my hands that require very little strength.
    Yeah, it was the fiddliness that kind of got to me. Not sure I'd want to make beads, as that might get to me as well, but pendants would be fun to do. Something like this, although the detail on this would take some practice. I've seen some neat rings as well.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    One thing you could do is wrap silver wire around the stones and things rather than drill holes in it. I've seen some stuff done that way and it's really pretty.

I really like beaded jewelry. It takes talent to make nice looking jewelry.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Some of what I do...
    0809_installationViewGirls.jpg

But not just painting...
    myMother_1.jpg

It's why I don't have time to crochet.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    I knit and sew (including recently taking up quilting) and do paper crafts (mostly cards, but sometimes scrapbooking).

I've got a whole crafting/cooking blog - modernishhomemaker.blogspot.com if you want to check out some of my projects. It's been a while since I have finished something new though, between finishing my masters, getting a new job and moving - plus fall and winter are just generally my more productive times for those type of projects, since I want to enjoy the outdoors in the spring and summer.

I am currently finishing up 3 scarves though. One of which will be part of a set including hand warmers and cabled boot toppers (like a half a leg warmer, that you can flip over the top of your boots or let it poke out to look like knee socks but without the bulk). And my next big projects are curtains for the new place and an idea I had for a flannel fall quilt.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    I do as many forms of needlework as I can learn, lacemaking of several varieties, spinning, weaving, dying threads, pewtercasting, lampwork, stone and bone carving and some metal work. Pretty much anything I can get instructions to and try. I do historical re-enactment and have aquired quite a few hobbies and classes there. I like starting from the ground up and making things to the finished product. On the historical hobbies I also do nalbinding and tablet weaving. I have three kids, two girls and a boy so I can dress them nicely and make all kinds of baubles for them to play with or decorate themselves with. My brain is an ADD squirrel on crack(no real drugs) and if I don't do something to keep it busy I start climbing the walls.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast