Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High GI Carbs for post Workout. page

gorski is offline Member

High GI Carbs for post Workout.

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys,

My Question: Im looking for a good high GI carb that is not derived from Corn! All the Dextrose and Maltodextrin on sale everywhere is from corn, I cannot find any rice or potato Dextrose and Maltodextrin, really anoying.

I did find that Dates had a GI of 103 but after some research found out that this was totally false, and Dates are quite low carb, Im looking for some high GI carbs that atrent high in fructose and sucrose, but not corn based either!

Im looking for no grain based high GI foods, obviously potatoes and white rice are on my list of good high GI foods!

WHY:

I'm planing to bulk and using the protocol in this science backed book (carbbackloading.com), the gist of it is as the day goes on your insulin resistance grows, so you are much more insulin resistant in the evening than the morning.

Resistance training has an effect on the muscles that resembles what insulin does but without insulin, the advantage is it doesn't affect fat tissue (tested on diabetic patients, whose blood was cleared of glucose after resistance training without insulin being released, fat cells did not absorb any sugar!), so if you ingest high GI your insulin will spike and your muscles will get a double whammy of glucose, they will absorb sugar at a higher rate depleting it before your fat could absorb much sugar, because it was high GI carbs it gave a quick insulin spike but thebn the insulin normalised meaning the fat tissue had not enough time to absorb sugar, while the muscles got the most of it, (stay away from sucrose and fructose!!!).
    Last edited by gorski; 08-03-2012 at 03:39 AM.

ToldUzo is online now Senior Member
    Whey? It makes your insulin go high.
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

stumprrp is offline Member
    I backload. I ran out but i usually buy "rilose" for my shakes. Its rice sugar. Pretty sweet stuff lol.

Your going to get shit for the backloading just to warn you ahead of time. There really arent many powerlifters/bodybuilders/heavy resistance trainees around here it seems.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    i do a lot of heavy resistance training and HIT/explosive training, and am always looking for the best strategy in terms of carb consumption, in order to achieve a good balance between performance and body composition. i've experimented with VLC, LC, and whatnot, and i currently alternate between high carb days and low carb days, with my most strenuous workouts being high carb days. so clue me in here, because i'm not buying the book. the concept is low carb all day, then high/moderate carb intake strictly post workout? what about carb consumption on rest days? and the carbs can't be sucrose or fructose?

Thats basically it. Fast in the morning or "skip" breakfast. You can have a coffee with coconut oil. Then lunch is high fat and protein. Post workout is a shake with whey and high GI carbs. Dinner eat lean protein and some more carbs. Before bed/dessert is where you can get "dirty" but obv on a primal forum maybe some homemade ice cream with bananas and some chocolate would be good.

Off days are all protein and fat.

interesting. it's actually not that dramatically different than the way i'm eating now. and i got myself to this point through pretty much just trial and error

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Lots of unicorn sightings in this thread.

The bottom line is that performance and body composition are directly related to the amount of CHOs ingested; not whether those CHOs are simple/complex or low GI/high GI.

CITES
    1. No difference in body weight decrease between a low-glycemic-index and a high-glycemic-index diet but reduced LDL cholesterol after 10-wk ad libitum intake of the low-glycemic-index diet. Sloth B, Krog-Mikkelsen I, Flint A, Tetens I, Björck I, Vinoy S, Elmståhl H, Astrup A, Lang V, Raben A. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Aug;80(2):337-47.

2. No effect of a diet with a reduced glycaemic index on satiety, energy intake and body weight in overweight and obese women. Aston LM, Stokes CS, Jebb SA. Int J Obes (Lond). 2008 Jan;32(1):160-5. Epub 2007 Oct 9.

3. Glycemic response and health–a systematic review and meta-analysis: relations between dietary glycemic properties and health outcomes. Livesey G, Taylor R, Hulshof T, Howlett J. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Jan;87(1):258S-268S.

4. The effects of low and high glycemic index foods on exercise performance and beta-endorphin responses. Jamurtas AZ, Tofas T, Fatouros I, Nikolaidis MG, Paschalis V, Yfanti C, Raptis S, Koutedakis Y. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2011 Oct 20;8:15.

Theres no unicorn sightings. Its a proven program and it works. I lost 25 pounds of basically fat, 5" off my waist, and my numbers are all up. You can list all the citiations you want, Kiefers work does the same. Its all what you want to believe more and do.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    That's great, and some people believe in unicorns too.

You would have lost even more than twenty five pounds by eating Twinkies though...see how your logic works?

@stackingplates

i have to say that i have seen you post on quite a few threads on this forum, and definitely think you're an interesting character. i actually tend to agree with you on a few things, and think there are quite a lot of unicorn on this forum for sure. way too many people looking for the easy way out, while looking directly past obvious answers, etc...

anyway, i actually have 2 questions for you. one is out of pure curiosity and the other is more serious. 1-if you aren't in to eating paleo or anything like it, why do you frequent this site? and 2-what is your current body composition/training program/diet like?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast