Thread: Wood pigeon breasts page

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member

Wood pigeon breasts

Primal Fuel
    Colleague very kindly brought me 20 pigeon breasts in from birds he shot last night, curious about what you lovely people would make with them?
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Over some shredded red cabbage and pickled beetroot? Gently fried off in a skillet with a little butter and served rare.

Again, fried off, then thinly sliced, layed over any sort of salad. Pickles in the salad would be good.

Same as above, but cooled overnight.

As a topping to a burger.

Really, it just comes down to gently frying, perhaps slicing and putting with deep, strong, or light and refreshing flavours. Have fun.

brighthorse is offline Senior Member
    I have seen wood pigeon but never shot or ate one. I would imagine that it is like dove. I like to marinade dove breasts in red wine with lots of chopped garlic. Then wrap in bacon and grill. Yum!

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Curried wood pigeon breast. Yummy!
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    ... a picture is worth a thousand words.

Here's a few thousand

The overture:

living in the ice age: Wood Pigeon

... leftovers:

living in the ice age: Wood Pigeon Leftovers

Stir fry?

living in the ice age: Wood Pigeon Stir Fry

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    The texture of the meat looks really interesting in your second picture. I would have thought it was more akin to turkey than red meat. It almost looks like liver or something.

In the end I wrapped them ins treaky bacon and pan fried them, truly delicious. I still have 16 left so tonight they are going in a big stir fry, glorious.

Thanks for the tip.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilingjustalittlebit View Post
    In the end I wrapped them ins treaky bacon and pan fried them, truly delicious. I still have 16 left so tonight they are going in a big stir fry, glorious.

Thanks for the tip.
    If he gets any more - ask for the carcasses! Roast lightly, and use to make it stock. It is wonderful - really rich and savoury. And curiously, wood pigeon stock is great to make a beef casserole....

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I did consider the carcasses, but that would mean plucking them myself, not ideal, hateful task.