Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Offal Week :) page 3

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    Curiosity piqued by this thread... I stumbled onto this. Figured I'd pass it along.

Serious Eats: The Nasty Bits

Asifyali is offline Junior Member
    I grew up eating a thick gelatinous gravy of goat's/cow's feet, a delicacy back in India. Every time I eat it nowadays, I distinctly feel an increase in energy levels, not to mention that it tastes so good. I get them from halal butchers, but also spotted them in Korean supermarkets.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
    How did you get over your liver aversion? I gag at beef liver but have managed to down chicken livers (doused in spices, coconut flour, and then fried). Any tips?
    I find I like calves liver the best and then chicken liver. I am not exactly "over" my aversion, but can tolerate it now without gagging.

I soak the liver in apple cider vinegar for a few minutes, rinse, cut in to very small cubes and dredge in a curry spice mixture. I fry it in very hot ghee until it is crispy brown - but don't leave it in so long that it get too brown. Then I serve it tossed in a mixture of freshly chopped cilantro, lemon juice, and sea salt. I always eat it was big slices of jicama. The fresh taste of the jicama between bites of liver sort of resets my palate. I think the acidity of the lemon/cilantro mixture really helps.

Good luck
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    OMG, I absolutely love the idea of chicken hearts on skewers! That's one mean Valentine Day treat!
    What a funny idea! It would be pretty clever for valentines day. I made mine in an asian marinade with coconut aminos (instead of soy), rice vinegar, a little brandy, a pinch of brown sugar, fresh chopped garlic, and fresh ginger. I marinaded them over night and served them with hot sauce. All of them were gone!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    Regarding the chicken hearts, do y'all trim anything (like grisle or hard fat/veins) or are they go as is?
    Nope. I rinse them in warm water, which allows some of the attached fat to detach from the heart (I eat CAFO chicken heart) which helps a little.

Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    Curiosity piqued by this thread... I stumbled onto this. Figured I'd pass it along.

Serious Eats: The Nasty Bits
    Wow - what a great resource! I'm bookmarking that for future reference. I had never heard of grilling beef tongue. Looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    Regarding the chicken hearts, do y'all trim anything (like grisle or hard fat/veins) or are they go as is?
    The recipe I have says to remove the fat and the veins. The chicken hearts I bought were already cleaned pretty well - a couple had a little fat I had to trim, but all the obvious veins were gone. I was happy because it seems like it would take a lot of time to clean all those hearts!

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I find I like calves liver the best and then chicken liver. I am not exactly "over" my aversion, but can tolerate it now without gagging.

I soak the liver in apple cider vinegar for a few minutes, rinse, cut in to very small cubes and dredge in a curry spice mixture. I fry it in very hot ghee until it is crispy brown - but don't leave it in so long that it get too brown. Then I serve it tossed in a mixture of freshly chopped cilantro, lemon juice, and sea salt. I always eat it was big slices of jicama. The fresh taste of the jicama between bites of liver sort of resets my palate. I think the acidity of the lemon/cilantro mixture really helps.

Good luck
    Thanks, I'm going to try this!

Paleobird Guest
    This is a great cookbook if you ever bought some offal with good intentions but then get it home and think, "What in the heck am I supposed to do with this?"

Amazon.com: Odd Bits: How to Cook the Rest of the Animal (9781580083348): Jennifer McLagan, Leigh Beisch: Books

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    You recently posted a thread about going to the Asian market and seeing offal, right? I suggest you look there for chicken hearts, because that's where I get all of mine
    I just looked at the ethnic market (it's mostly Mexican) and all they had were chicken gizzards. I tried cooking and eating one of those and it was too tough. I suppose there's a trick to it but I don't know what it is. Then they had pork kidney but I'm afraid to try that because I read somewhere that sometimes it tastes like a bus station. They also had all kinds of pork bits--heart, feet, tails, tongues--but I guess I'm not ready for any of that (or in the mood for a large heart). So I bought fresh chilled chicken liver and pork belly at Whole Foods instead. I'll keep looking for chicken hearts. Someday I'll get lucky.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast